Electric

As Mackenzie opened her eyes, she recognized the familiar set up of Oliver's home. She smiled and sat up, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. Thea walked through the door and threw her bag and keys on a table, not noticing her sleeping friend. 

"Ollieeee!!! Why is the jet almost out of gas?!" She yelled up the stairs, huffing. Mackenzie chuckled, some things never changed.

"I'm afraid I'm at fault for that" She yawned 

"OH MY GOD KENZIE!!" Thea yelled and rushed over to hug her, "Are you okay?? Are you hurt?? What's up? Oh my god me and Oli have been worried sick about you!" Thea said hurriedly, sounding like her mother.

"No need to worry, I'm okay" Mackenzie smiled, pulling away and kissing Thea comfortingly on the cheek.

"Well it sure is good to have you back safe and sound" She smiled as Oliver walked down the stairs.

"I had to pick Mackenzie up. Sorry, Thea" Oliver said as he grabbed his keys.

"Well I better head home" Mackenzie said and hugged Thea and Oliver goodbye.

"Thank you. Really" She whispered to Oliver

"Anytime" He smiled, and Mackenzie was off.

Once in the familiarity of her own apartment, Mackenzie collapsed on her bed. She closed her eyes and listened to the soft patter of the rain on the window. In the back of her mind, was Central City. And all the people she had helped hurt. That she had helped kill. It was eating away at her. She couldn't do it. Mackenzie jumped up, determined to shake this. She changed into a gray t-shirt dress and threw het hair up into a messy bun, secured by a few pins. She set a few buckets outside on her balcony, to catch the rain water. At least you could do that in Starling, Central City was no doubt contaminated by who-knows-what came out of the particle accelerator, Mackenzie thought to herself. She re-entered the house and sat at her kitchen counter, staring out the window.

So what was she gonna do about it?

She couldn't decided. Was she ready to leave Starling? To leave Oliver and Thea and her job and her home and her friends and everything she had here? To help a fallen city that she unintentionally helped destroy? Even if she did, how could she help? Science the whatever-the-fuck-happened out of Central City? Mackenzie sighed again.

She grabbed the buckets from outside and replaced them with new ones, using the rainwater to water her various houseplants. When she returned to get the other buckets, the clouds were much grayer, and she could hear the thunder rumbling throughout the sky. Mackenzie brought the buckets inside and sealed her balcony door and windows shut. In mere minutes the soft, calming rain turned into a full on, raging thunderstorm. And then the power went out.

"Great" Mackenzie muttered, rolling her eyes as she pushed herself up to a standing position.

She walked over to the power box and opened it. And then she just stood there. Because actually, the power had never gone out in her house before, and she had no idea how to fix it. She gently and carefully put her hand in the box, careful not to touch any of the wires. When she located the problematic wire, she reached for it.

And suddenly Mackenzie's fingertips started to glow a strange blue-white and they felt incredibly hot. There was a ZAP! and the power came back on. Mackenzie stared at her hand, which had returned to normal, and her breathe started to quicken. What the hell? What did she just do? She quickly grabbed her phone, but who could she call? Oliver was so busy, and no one else knew. Mackenzie groaned and threw her phone at the couch.