Conflicted

Barry laid on his bed, phone in hand, but he was afraid. He wanted to call her, but at the same time he very much didn't want to call her.

Why was he doing this to himself?

He knew exactly why. Because he wanted to find everything that was perfect with Mack. Her flaws may have seemed to be overwhelming, but he found perfection in each of them. He thought back to the restaurant and her smile and her accent and how beautiful she looked that fateful night. How ruthless she was with those guys because her friends were in danger.

He picked up his phone. Seconds later he heard a zap!

"You were going to call?" Mack's voice rang out through the room. Barry closed his eyes and tried his hardest to commit her voice to memory. The ever-present snarkiness that was tainted by the softness she hid inside herself. The way her accent changed the sound of the words. 'We're' to 'wehr', from 'call' to 'caul'. It was mesmerizing. She was mesmerizing. And he hadn't even turned around to look at her.

"Yes. Yes I was" Barry breathed as he opened his eyes and spun around to face Mackenzie, "How did you know that?"

"Connection with electricity remember? I have control of everything electronic, including phones and apartment surveillance cameras" She replied

"We need to talk" Barry sighed nervously, dismissing the previous conversation.

"I had a feeling you'd say that" Mackenzie chuckled

"Mack really. Please hear me out" Barry sighed at her

"Hm I'm not terribly good at that"

"That's a lie"

Barry's comment shut Mack up. It had interrupted her snarky train of thought and dismissive sarcastic remarks. It had made her think. Had he actually been paying attention to her? Had he noted when she said that she was a good listener? That she was always open to other options, opinions, and comments? That she cared what others had to say and always listened intently?

"Come back Mack" Barry said softly, their eyes meeting for the first time in days

"I haven't even been gone that long" Mack broke the moment and scoffed. Barry knew she would.

"Where will you go? Who do you have? Mack come on. You need us as much as we need you" Barry argued

Mackenzie rolled her eyes. The audacity.

"I'll go home. To Starling. With Thea and Oliver and Diggle and Lyla and everyone else in my life that I left there. I don't need anything from you Barry Allen. You think I need this, this... group. This community. This support. But I already have it Barry, I have people. I know you think you need to save everyone but I'm telling you right now, Bartholomew Henry Allen--I don't need saving" Mackenzie said, taking a step towards Barry.

"You keep telling yourself that Mackenzie Elizabeth Carter" Barry stepped closer too, "Wells told us about you"

"Really now? And what did old Harry have to say?" Mack stepped forwards threateningly again

"That you need saving" Barry replied more softly with a final step. They were mere centimeters apart. He instantly got caught in her eyes and had the impulsive urge to kiss her.

"Good thing you made a superhero then" Mack smirked before brushing past Barry and out of the room.

"Mackenzie! Mackenzie wait!" Barry called out after her

"Honestly Barry I don't know what else you want from me" Mack groaned

"A second chance" Barry breathed

"Didn't I already give you one of those?" Mack questioned, arms crossed, one eyebrow raised in an arc.

"Third chance?" Barry squeaked

Everything in Mack was telling her 'No way, what the hell?! He called you a cold hearted murderer and totally tried to cut you out'. But she wanted Barry to care. She wanted Barry to chase her, to show her he was sorry. How could he do that if she never gave him the chance?

"Seven. Here. Tonight" Mack sighed quietly, a soft glare on her features. She looked beautiful to Barry, as always.

"Done" Barry said, and with that she was gone.

«««««»»»»»

Mackenzie was freaking out in her apartment. She laid on her couch, staring at the ceiling. Now that may not seem like freaking out for most people, but for Mack it's as good as it got. Oliver entered her house using a key he had made himself by pretending to be Mack's husband.

"Mackenzie. Why are you laying on the couch?" Oliver inquired as he entered her living room and onto her kitchen.

"I'm have a meeting with Barry Allen at seven o'clock" She replied, mocking his formality.

"You really like him, don't you?" Oliver chuckled as he took out food from the fridge

"No. I don't think so. I don't know. I just want to know where we stand before I leave. Closure" Mackenzie told herself aloud

"I know you Kenzie. You mean you want to know where you stand before you decide to give up" Oliver countered

Mack didn't reply for a long time. Oliver left the silence as he prepared something for him to eat.

"Help me pick something out, if you're so all-knowing about me" Mack punched Oliver's arm as she made her way into her room. Oliver followed, grabbing a handful of grapes as he went.

"I really like th-"

"No dresses"

"Really Mack?"

"Really. Now help me"

The two sat in her bed and stared at her closet silently for a good, solid five minutes before Mack started laughing and fell back onto the bed.

"What's so funny?" Oliver asked, smiling down at her.

"This" She sighed in disbelief

"Why, might I ask?"

"Because I'm having you of all people help me pick out an outfit for my date with Barry that I somehow got myself into. What if I just say I'm sick?"

"You aren't sick Mackenzie"

"He doesn't know that" She winked at Oliver, before getting up and walking to her closet. She pulled out a gray and white patterned sweatshirt and black pants. She held them up for Oliver to see.

"That sweatshirt is like eight sizes too big for you" Oliver pointed out with a smile as he tossed a grape up in the air and caught it in his mouth. He knew that sweater.

Mackenzie smiled.

"I value comfortability. Now get out so I can change" She grinned. Oliver obeyed and Mack changed quickly. She secured her hair in a messy bun and put on a choker. She walked out and put her hands on her hips in front of Oliver.

"Vicious delicious" He complimented, grinning

"What the fuck Oliver" Mackenzie smiled and laughed at her best friend as she put her phone in her pocket. "Drive me?"

Mack and Oliver reached Barry's apartment quickly.

"Call me if you need anything okay?" Oliver said as she turned to him.

"Yup. See you, Thanks Ollie" Mackenzie smiled as she left the car

"Anytime Kenz" Oliver sighed