Messes You Have To Clean Up

Mackenzie didn't have the heart to go back to Barry's, so she zapped herself to her own house. Like Barry had said, it was in ruins. The furniture was torn, stuffing spilling out of it. The walls were smeared in red pain, glasses and vases shattered on the floor, sheets tossed, lamps knocked over, chairs broken.

What had happened here?

The last Mackenzie had remembered was getting taken before she had even opened her door. Had the Dollhouse done this? Why?

She began searching the area until at last, amidst the broken glass, sat a bottle. Completely sealed, a piece of paper inside. Mackenzie once again committed the familiar action of smashing the bottle on the ground.

The noise almost startled Barry, who was keeping hidden. He knew Mack would never come back to him, so he had to go out and find her. To figure out what the hell was going on, in more ways than one.

Mack bent down and picked up the piece of paper. She slowly unraveled it and gazed upon the words.

The Melbourne Catastrophe was a 'glitch' in the system. But I came out of that glitch, with no hope, into a world in which I could never be loved. Never have family. Never have a life. You condemned me to my own, personal catastrophe Mackenzie Carter. So I'm gonna damn you to you're own.

Mackenzie's breathing hitched. No one was suppose to come out of the Melbourne Catastrophe. For the better. She crumpled the piece of paper before squeezing her eyes shut, pressing her palms to her temples. Mack had never been very good at dealing with the aftermath of her actions.

Suddenly she felt a pulse. Her electrical abilities gave a certain connection with some things, and human pulses happened to be one of them. Mackenzie snapped her head up. Someone was here. Instantly she turned the light above the intruder on, flooding him with light and embarrassment.

"Hey..." Was all Barry could muster, before he realized why he was there are refound his voice

"Mack, we seriously need to-"

"Talk. Yeah. I know. But for tonight, just go home" Mackenzie tried

"Mackenzie seriously. I deserve to know what's going on" Barry stepped out of the lit doorway and closer to Mack.

"Actually, you can't grasp even the idea of what's going on with me right now, so I'm not asking you to. This is me, not you. I'd go home if I were you Barry, before we get a repeat of last time" Mackenzie's voice lowered

It sent shivers up Barry's spine. He didn't like it when Mack got like this. She noticed the slight hint of fear in his eyes. She didn't want him to be afraid of her, but how couldn't he? And if he actually knew about who she was? Her past? He'd be long gone.

"Why do we keep ending up like this Mack?" Barry sighed

"Surrounded by broken glass with me threatening you and you being scared and confused? Hm. Couldn't tell yah" She replied sarcastically

"This isn't a joke Mackenzie"

"Oh trust me, I know" She grabbed his hand, he flinched away from her. Mackenzie took a deep breath before replying,

"If I wanted to hurt you, I would've done it already Allen"

Barry hesitantly outstretched his hand and Mack rolled her eyes and grabbed it, leading Barry gently but intentionally towards the door. She opened it, gave him a little push out, and closed the door gently. Barry left. Mackenzie closed her eyes.

After a few moments, Mack simply went to bed. She didn't change. She didn't put up her hair. She didn't wash off her make up. She simply lied on her nicely made bed, and fell asleep.

«««««»»»»»

"Rise and shine Carter!" Caitlin yelled throughout the house

"Oh god Snow" Mack covered her face with her hands and rubbed away the sleep in her eyes, further smearing her make up. Caitlin walked in the room and stopped in her tracks.

"Geez. You look like hell" She remarked

"Aw how sweet Caitlin, what did I do to deserve you?" Mack rolled her eyes

"There's make up all over your sheets, and your face. Did you even sleep in your bed last night?"

"Nope. I just kinda..." Mack symbolized a falling motion with her hand and shrugged

"We're you drinking?"

"Caitlin!"

"Just asking! I'll make breakfast! Take a shower Mack-attack" Caitlin said as she exited the room, careful to avoid the broken glass. Mackenzie laughed softly to herself before going to get ready. This time, she didn't take her necklace off.

After Mack had gotten ready, the two girls ate breakfast at the breakfast bar in the middle of Mack's shambled living room-kitchen area.

"Barry told me you kissed him" Caitlin mentioned casually

"Marvelous" Mack smiled sarcastically (A/N: y'all imagine Mack saying this with her cute lil Australian accent how friCJEN ADORABLE IS SHE?!?)

"He also told me you shocked him and then left" She giggled

"I only learn from the best" Mack nudged Caitlin, who rolled her eyes.

"Well? How was it?" She asked, a little bit too excitedly

"Well... Nice, I mean, he's a great guy, like really super sweet and caring and all that. I'm just in a bad spot right now, you know?" Mack shrugged

"Why?"

"Someone's hunting me" Mack gestured to her destroyed living room

"I thought this was the Dollhouse?" Caitlin furrowed her eyebrows

"Some of it, sure. But there's someone else behind this stuff. Something bigger. And my ass caused it" She sighed

"How?"

"The Melbourne Catastrophe"

"Wait.... No"

"Yup"

"Well shit. Let's get to cleaning" Caitlin jumped up and went to the supply closet. Mack smiled. She had joked about it earlier, but really; she didn't know what she had done to deserve a best friend like Caitlin, but whatever it was, she was sure as hell glad she did.

They spent the rest of the day cleaning, ordering new furniture, painting, and singing to a bunch of old sing-alongs.