Chapter One: A Different Beginning

Forsaken Innocence

Chapter One: A Different Beginning

Maybe two weeks have passed since Kakashi gave us our registrations for the chunin exams. Two weeks since Sasuke and I went public. Two weeks, and counting, that Naruto has ignored my very being.

Michiko has talked nonstop about that creepy sand ninja. Gaara this, and Gaara that. It’s a bit annoying, if you ask me. Sasuke doesn’t seem to mind it, though. She’s tagging along with us a lot, lately. The company can be nice, until her rants start. She could go on for hours about the red-headed freak show.

As the chunin exams draw closer, the less of Kakashi we see. This factor confuses me. Shouldn’t he be training us? I mean, it’s not like he’s our sensei, or anything.

I sighed, it’s funny how much could change in the course of two weeks. I’ve gained one person, and lost another. Why was it always a win-lose situation with me?

“Sasuke,” I whined, “I’m hungry! Get me something to eat.” He shook his head.

“The last time I bought you something to eat, I didn’t have any money left!” I gasped.

“Liar! I’m not that much of a pig!”

“Mhmm…that’s what they all say.”

“Are you calling me fat?”

“What? I neve--”

“Great. My own boyfriend thinks I’m fat.” I used the word ‘boyfriend’ as much as I possibly could when referring to Sasuke. The title was nice. And, I’m sure no one has ever had the privilege to call this amazing Uchiha, theirs. Nor will they ever be able to. He’s mine.

Sasuke smirked, probably guessing what I was thinking. He seemed rather good at that. He took my hand in his. “Where to?”

I was happily stuffing my face at the single most amazing Ramen shop in all of Konoha. No worries. That was, until Naruto walked in. The whole atmosphere of the place changed from cheery to awkward in the matter of seconds. Too bad either us refused to back down, being too stubborn. Being as daring as Naruto was, he sat on the empty seat next to mine.

I could feel the waves of hate rolling off of him, slapping me in the face. As to why? I didn’t know. I tried to show that his cold behavior didn’t bother me. Let’s just say I’ve never been the best actor…

We at in silence. The tension was so thick, it was suffocating me. The weight was becoming unbearable on my chest, making my breathing come out as gasps. It was extremely uncomfortable.

“You okay, there?” the owner asked, worry etched in his face. Even if I wasn’t looking at Naruto, I could feel his gaze on me. Clear blue eyes slicing through my soul, leaving very painful cuts.

“Hitomi, wanna go home?” Sasuke’s hand found mine, rubbing soothing circles onto my palm. It calmed me, even if it was only slightly. The relief was phenomenal. My breathing slowed to an almost normal pace.

Frustration. I could practically feel Naruto’s frustration, now. My eyes lingered on the food in front of me. There was still some left. Should I stay and eat it, or leave?

“I-I’m fine.” I choked out, shoveling food into my mouth. Naruto’s hatred doesn’t have a very positive effect on me. Anyone could see that. The only person who could possibly be oblivious is the one who is causing my discomfort. He never was the sharpest tool in the shed.

But, then again, wouldn’t it be his personal mission to make me feel this way? Tears threaten to take over as I continue my lesser pleasant thoughts about my former best friend. I think it to be wise to just concentrate on eating. This alone should keep me occupied.

I was hoping by staying here with Naruto, he would start talking to me, again. He would forget the matter at hand, and start joking around. Like he always used to. I don’t even know why I bothered. It just makes it harder on me.

With the chunin exams less than a day away, and with Naruto hating me, I was fearful. Teamwork was no doubt, essential. What if, bottom line, it came to Naruto having to rescue me? Two weeks ago, he would have done it without hesitation. Now? I wasn’t so sure if he’d even lift a finger to help me.

____________________________________________

After a day of nothing but troubles, its nice to lay in bed with the one you care for the most. Helps you forget a lot of things, too. That was, until sleep caught up with you.

Sasuke stroked my back in a soothing motion, almost putting me to sleep on the spot. “What happened, today?” He asked. I cam up short. Was he referring to what happened in the Ramen shop?

“Clarify.”

“With Naruto. Everything was fine…until he walked in.” My mind wandered back to his hostile mood. All of it, directed towards me.

“He hates me. Scould do is tell me the truth.”

“What do you want me to say, Sasuke? How much Naruto’s constant hate is slowly killing me? How he was the only person I ever trusted, until you came along? How’s he’s the only family I’ve ever had? How he’s never let me down, even when everyone else has? Yeah, it doesn’t bother me, because it hurts much worse than that. He’s not to be compared to a mosquito.”

Sasuke was speechless. All he could do was hug me close to him, letting me relieve my emotions of abandonment and pain into the crook of his neck. His silence was comforting. It was far more meaningful than his words could ever be. His embrace showed just how much he cared, when his words failed. He understood me. And for that, I was grateful.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Do do do.♥ COMMENT&&VOTE&&FAN!♥ :DD