Chapter Fifteen: Reunion

Forsaken Innocence 

Chapter Fifteen: Reunion 

“You liked it,” I winced, shoving my hands deep into the standard ninja pants I was used to wearing. Sakura’s words still bounced around my head, making the former chaos seeming to be little more than a tiny problem. 

My frown deepened as I continued walking, the darkness enveloping my body in a way that seemed to calm me, slightly. But, it didn’t stop the tears from coming. 

“Dammit!” I gasped, looking up to notice I had somehow ventured off to the training grounds. And, in front of me lay the blonde that haunted my dreams, sprawled out in his sweat and efforts. Just how long had he been here?

I silently watched as he laid in his own filth, breathing heavily. Naruto’s gaze stayed fixated upwards, menacingly glaring up at the sky. 

In other words, he didn’t seem to be too happy with his results. 

I continued staring as the battered boy struggled to lift his worn body, slightly wincing as he did so. Even though it had grown dark out and he was obviously worn, Naruto was still determined to continue on. He would stop until he got it right- until he held the sort of satisfaction that came when finally succeeding. 

He wouldn’t stop ‘til he was crowned champion.

I took a deep breath, taking a step forward. He shouldn’t over work himself like this.

“Naruto…” The boy’s head snapped up at the sound of his name. His gaze of alarm was quickly replaced by a solemn expression as he recognized me, just a few feet away, twiddling my thumbs. 

He stood there, almost frozen for a few more seconds, making me wonder if he had gone back to resenting me. I had rejected him, which could have left bitter feelings behind. I could almost hear his rage: What did Sasuke have that he didn’t. Why was it always him

My moment of doubt was swiftly obliterated when I felt a tight grasp around my waist, pulling me into a warm chest. At first, it scared me. Would he try something, again?

But, the boy once again vanquished my worries as his hold on me tightened, the warm feeling of tears falling onto my cheeks. Only, this time, they weren’t mine. 

“I missed you,” he whispered, refusing to loosen his hold on me. 

Hours later, we found ourselves in the same training grounds, laying under the stars together. Back before any of our ninja days had even begun, we’d always lay out here together, marveling at how the distant orbs of light twinkled. Were they really so far away?

Back then, we’d believe that maybe one day, we could catch one. How cool would it be, to own your own star? Our motives had been a bit different for wanting to own one, but the dream had been the same. And, so then, the two orphans bonded closer than ever before, having no one but each other.