Chapter 15-Shattered

Chapter 15

The rest of the day pretty much consisted of movies and popcorn. The atmosphere was similar to that of a real family. It made me miss what I had lost so long ago...  

I had debated whether I should take Izzy to the hospital to see her mother, and had decided against it, at least for today. The poor girl didn't need to see her mother unconscious with tubes sticking out of her. As it was, when I glanced at Izzy from the corner of my eye when she thought no one was looking, her face would seem sad, worried. Every time I saw her gorgeous sapphire eyes cloud over with worry, my heart would stutter in my chest, and I would have to blink back tears.  

I don't know what it was about Izzy, but she reminded me so much of my family. Of my sister. I couldn't help but feel like Izzy was a part of the family. The thought of anything happening to her, of anything hurting her, made a flare of protective fury swell within me. 

But at 9pm, I had no choice but to end the fun. 

"Come on Izzy, time for get ready bed," I said, forcing myself up off the sofa. A copy of Cole had gone to pick up some of Izzy's things earlier in the day, so she was equipped with some pajamas, bathroom things, and various items of clothing. 

"Nooooo!" Izzy cried, hiding her face behind a pillow. 

"Yes," I said firmly, holding out my hand for her. She just looked at it as if I'd grown an extra finger. "Izzy." I used my teacher voice, showing I was serious. 

 Izzy stuck her tongue at me, refusing to budge. I had just decided that I would have to carry her fireman style into the bedroom when she, quick as a flash, chucked a pillow at my face. It hit its mark; I was too surprised to do anything about it. I looked at her, my face blank, blinking rapidly, trying to work out if that had actually happened or not. 

 Giggling, Izzy raced out of the room, her tinkling laughter dancing in the air around us, joining Cole's deep, booming snicker. I shot him a glare, falling back onto the sofa, resting my head on his shoulder. His arms came around me, and I snuggled in. 

 His heat seeped through his clothes and mine, warming me down to my toes. I closed my eyes and sighed, feelings safe and secure in his arms. 

"I can't believe she did that," I said, smiling slightly. Cole's chest shook with his laughter. 

"What can I say, I think she learnt a thing or two from me this morning. I am very skilled." I poked him hard in the side of his stomach, making him yelp in surprise. 

"So really, it's your fault!" I cried, turning my face up to look at him just as he turned his down to look at me. 

 Suddenly, I found our faces so close together, I could feel his warm breath caressing my face. It smelt slightly of mint, and an undercurrent that was all Cole-pure masculine goodness. I breathed in deeply, my eyes briefly fluttering closed. God, since when did he smell so good

 I knew that my face betrayed my hunger for him, and I saw surprise flicker in the depths of his eyes before an answering hunger rose. Before I even registered what I was doing, I leaned forward slightly, pulled towards him like magnetic force. 

 Our lips were almost touching now. So close. One more inch, and I would know the pleasure of his lips on mine. God, had I ever wanted anything so much? 

 Just as we were about to close the distance between us...

"Raven!" Izzy shouted from the bedroom. "Where did you put my pajamas?" 

 The moment broken, I moved away from Cole, my face burning with embarrassment. I thought I heard Cole groan, but the sound was so low, I couldn't be sure.