Chapter 24-Engaging with the Enemy

Chapter 24

Over the next few days, more and more notes seemed to mysteriously arrive. All addressed to me. One note, every single day without fail for the last three days.

Idiocy runs in the family I see 

At first, this note had confused me. My whole family was dead, all killed off by the demons at some point in the distant past. But then it had sunk in. This demon, whoever the fucker was, had known my family. And as more notes seemed to arrive, it became obvious that it had played a part in their gruesome deaths. 

I wonder if you'll be easier to kill than your sister...

That one had left me shaking. The bastard that killed my sister... I thought I'd never have to see its ugly face again. Never have to look into those endless cold eyes so filled with hate for the world. But I knew. Knew that this demon, for whatever reason, was targeting me. Just as it'd done my mother. Just as it'd done my sister. 

The most recent note, however, was the most chilling. 

Peek-a-boo, I see you

It was like it was taunting me with the fact that I could do nothing to stop it. And it pissed me off. The fact that the dick was spying on me and threatening to kill me was bad enough, but then to go rub it in? That's just harsh. 

"Raven!" Cole said, sounding annoyed. 

"Huh?" I blinked over at him, surprised to find myself on his lap, snuggled into the warmth of his chest. I didn't remember getting into this position. Not that I was complaining...

He rolled his eyes. "I said I have to go out to meet a client for work," he repeated slowly, like I was a child. He was only a couple years older than I was!  

"Oh," I said dumbly, looking away from his gorgeous face. "That's fine, I guess. How long will you be gone?"

Now what was I supposed to do? Without Cole here to keep me company, I would have to resort to daytime TV. Or worse... Cleaning my room. I shuddered at the thought. I know it's immature of me, but I can't help it. Who can really be bothered to tidy their room? It's not worth the effort; it just gets messed up again...

Cole shrugged. "I don't know, it depends how annoyed the client is with me. And they sounded pretty pissed over the phone. I haven't exactly been making much progress, what with all the distractions..." He shot me a pointed look, grinning wickedly. "I guess I'll be gone a couple hours max."

I nodded, smiling as I thought back on those 'distractions'. "Okey dokey then." I leaned up and pecked him on lips. "How soon do you need to go?" 

He smiled sheepishly. "The client wants to see me as soon as possible. So...now."

I laughed at the annoyance in his tone. "Wow, someone's been a naughty boy." I chuckled at the look of lust that darkened his eyes as his mind wandered into the gutter, joining mine. "Well? Are you waiting for an engraved invitation? Get out of here!" I playfully swatted him on the shoulder. 

Grumbling, Cole reluctcantly got up, shifting me onto the sofa. He bent down to kiss me one last time, sending heat shooting through me, which I, regretfully, had to ignore. 

"I'll be as quick as I can," he murmured against my lips. 

I smiled against his lips. "Later Cole."

And just like that, he was gone.

The next few hours consisted of a shitload of daytime TV. I'm talking the horrific stuff: Escape to the Country; Location Location Location...DIY SOS. Not to mention those old re-runs of Eastenders and Home and Away. Don't get me wrong, these programs aren't that bad. But when forced to watch them all day? To say they lost their appeal was an understatement.