Chapter 25-Unexpected Visitor

Lucius --------> Hot stuff *licks lips* haha

Chapter 25

My mind was in turmoil. I'd known that my mum had somehow known the demon that had killed her. That much was obvious from the way they'd spoken to each other. But this...?

I looked at the picture again. They both looked so...so happy. On the two occasions that I'd seen the demon, he'd been filled with nothing but hate. But here... Here, he looked like a normal human being.

Dropping the repulsive picture, I looked around the floor, trying to find where I'd gotten it from. Not seeing where else it could have come from, I picked up the box that had fallen. On top of it in scrawny writing read 'Mum's things'.

I once again froze. This had been the box that I hadn't had the guts to sort through back after Mum had died. The box I'd buried in hopes of never having to go through. Because as long as that box stayed shut, I didn't have to acknowledge what had happened.  

But now I knew that I couldn't hide from it any more. I needed answers. Answers that only my mum could give me. 

Slowly, I looked inside, barely managing to keep from wincing as memory after memory tried to hold me captive. Then I felt like an idiot when I found the box empty. The contents had all fallen out onto the floor, set apart from the other junk by a short distance. 

My eyes roamed over the items, settling on a little purple diary that had 'Olivia' written on the front. I took a deep breath before I had the guts to pick the book up and flick through it. 

Thursday 1st September 

I took the girls out to the park today. They seem so happy, so innocent, running around and playing without a care in the world. I dread to think of the day they’ll have to leave all that behind them. Dread to think of the day they’ll join my world… 

 I skipped the rest of that entry, flipping to another, not wanting to hear about that. I remembered that day. Remembered how sad Mum had looked as she sat in solitude on the park bench while Grace and I ran and played. Guess I know what made her look so depressed...

Monday 5th September

I can't seem to stay away from him. I know that this will end badly, I can feel it in my bones. But even now, I can't force myself to give him up. I know he's not mine, but every moment I spend with him just makes me want him more. 

I knew that she was talking about the demon. Had it put some kind of spell on Mum to make her want him? Surely she couldn't have felt this way uninfluenced... But in that photo, the demon had looked just as happy, just as lovesick as my mother had...

The guilt that consumes me for sneaking around is a constant companion. I know that Daniel will never forgive me if he ever found out. He'd leave me, leave the girls, and I know I can't let that happen. Raven and Grace need their father, even if he's not a Venator. At least a normal human is better than a half demon... My dear, beloved Lucius... I know it's not his fault that he was born as he was, but I can't help but hold it against him. I kill his kind, I don't love them. But love is exactly what I feel. Yet I know the time for me to give him up draws nearer. I can't be selfish forever... 

I dropped the diary, shocked. Mum had...loved...the demon. She'd loved him to the point she'd risked losing everything just to be with him. And obviously, the demon, Lucius, had felt something for Mum too. So then why the fuck had he killed her?!