Chapter 16-New Powers

• Dedicated to To everyone who was bothered to read this far :)

Lexi ------>

***

Chapter 16

Cole's POV

As I left the room which housed Izzy's mother, my phone began to ring. 
"Hello?" I said. 
"Cole!" a voice shouted. There was a grunt, a masculine cry of pain, before the voice came back. "Cole, are you there?" 

 It took me a moment to place the voice. "Lexi?" I asked stupidly. I could practically see her rolling her eyes. 
"No, it's Santa," she said sarcastically. "Have you not heard of caller ID?" There was another cry, then some panting, before she spoke again. "Look, I didn't exactly call to exchange pleasantries."
"Please tell me you didn't just call to make sex noises down the phone," I said, shaking my head and chuckling. The noises on the other end could, I suppose, be misinterpreted, although it was pretty obviously not sex noises. "What are you even doing? Trying to make a sandwich?" 

 "If you must know, I'm kicking some demon ass!" she said, sounding disgruntled. 
My eyes widened. "By yourself? Are you high, or just plain stupid?" 
"Oh, spare me the crap!" she snapped. "Can you just get your pretty ass down here? I kinda need back-up..." 

 Just then, there was a clatter on the phone from her end, then she cried out in what sounded like shock. 
"Fuck that, you did not just go there! You did not just slap my ass!" There was a deep chuckle that sent unpleasant shivers through my body.
"And what would you do if I did?" 

 The moment the male finished speaking, he cried out in what I assumed was pain. I could only imagine what Lexi had done to him. She was fierce, not to mention feisty, despite her delicate appearance. 
"Yo Cole, you still there?" she asked pleasantly, showing no outward sign that she was fighting a demon other than her slightly panting breaths. 
"Yeah, still here."
"Fab, so about that back-up..." 
I sighed. "I was kind of in the middle of something Lex..." 

 She was silent for a moment. "You would seriously abandon me? Cole, what the fuck?! For all you know, this butt-ugly demon could have a shot at killing me, and you'd just be playing cards with your precious Raven!" 
All teasing left my tone as I responded. "Shut the fuck up Alexis," I said quietly, using her full name for emphasis. "Don't talk about Raven that way, or you'll never get any help from me again." 

 There was a long pause, then, "Sorry. But I still think it's unfair that you would leave me all alone." 
"Lexi... You can't be struggling that much if you're on the phone to me whilst fighting him at the same time."
"Well, he's just really bad at hand to hand combat. But you never know. And what if he has friends? This is my first demon Cole, a little support would have been nice. But I guess some support from one of my closest friends was just too much to ask for, wasn't it?" 

 I could tell she was about to slam the phone down in a huff, so I quickly said, "Fine, I'll come!"
"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" she squealed, and I could just imagine the big grin on her face. It hadn't escaped my notice that she had just manipulated me into this, but she did have a point. I was one of her closet friends, and if she couldn't count on me, who could she count on? Also, it wasn't as if I was really needed here. All I was doing was awkwardly standing out in the hallway while Raven and Izzy had a heart to heart. 

 Lexi rattled off details of her location, then ended the phone call. Just as the phone call ended, Raven and a pitiful looking Izzy came out of the room. 
"Is everything alright?" I asked. I had expected them to stay in there for longer. 
"Yeah, it's fine," Raven replied, squeezing Izzy's hand. "Izzy just wanted to go home, that's all. Who was on the phone?" 
I smiled apologetically. "Yeah, about that... I kind of need to go." Inwardly, I winced. I didn't really want to leave them, especially Izzy. I really felt bad for the kid, and was resenting Lexi for making me leave her side when she was obviously upset.