Chapter 28-Torturous Memories

Chapter 28

Raven's POV

Oh God. It was back. The demon that my mother had loved. The demon that had killed my mother. The demon that had ruined everything. My hand instinctively tightened on Cole's. 

"What do you want?" I spat, letting the hatred I'd bottled up spill into my eyes. I saw Cole look at me from the corner of my eye, but I ignored him, squeezing his hand in reassurance. I'd have to explain to him later. If there was a later. I knew what this demon could do. I wasn't about to make the mistake of underestimating it. 

"Now now," it tsked, shaking its head at me and sauntering into the room, expression amused. "There's no need to take that tone with me young lady."
I chuckled darkly. "And there's no need to take that tone with me, old man. You're not my father." I smiled evilly. "My mother didn't choose that for you, did she?"  

At my words, its whole body went rigid. It stalked over to me where I sat next to Cole, bringing its face right next to mine, despite the curses and threats Cole was throwing at it. Dropping my hand, he struggled wildly against his chains. But they wouldn't budge. 

Lucius stared into my eyes for a moment before pulling back and turning away. At first, I thought that it meant to leave me alone. But then, quicker than lightening, it spun back around to face me, its hand connecting with my cheek. The resulting slap echoed through the room. My head was knocked to the side with the force of it. My cheek stung as little pinpricks of pain raced through me. 

Cole roared out insults that made my ears bleed, thrashing around and shouting. But instead of letting Lucius see my pain, I just slowly turned my face back to face it, moving towards it as much as the chains would allow. 
"Is that all you got?" I whispered, laughing in its face. At my words, Cole stopped his struggles, seeming to realise they were useless anyway. We were trapped. 

Lucius just looked at me. 
"You're just like her," it said, shock settling over its features like a blanket.
"Like who? My mother? The woman you killed? She loved you, you sick fucker. I don't know why, but she did. And I'm pretty sure you loved her too, considering how you just reacted." My tone rose with each word I uttered, until I was practically shouting in its face, since it still hadn't moved away from me yet. But my voice turned deadly quiet at my next words. "So why the fuck did you murder her?"  

It moved away from me then, but not before I caught the flash of emotion on its face. Pain was too tame a word to describe it. What this demon was feeling was unadultered agony. And it was nothing less than it deserved.

"She lied," it finally murmured. "She never loved me. Lied from the start. Wanted to deceive me. Tried to make me weak. He warned me. But I didn't listen. I thought I knew better. But I didn't. I didn't. Now I've paid." I could barely understand its incoherent mutterings. Then a devilish smile lit its features; its eyes turned blank. "But so did she." 

Rage fought to dominate my mind, but I wouldn't let it. 
"You're a coward," I said simply. 
Its head snapped around to face me. "No one calls me a coward!" it roared, slamming its fist into the wall beside the archway that lead away from this torture chamber. Something about it seemed so familiar... 
"Obviously someone should," I retorted, undaunted. "You couldn't handle her rejection. So you took it out on everyone else. Couldn't accept that fact that even though she loved you, she had to let you go. You're a fucking coward. All this time, you've been running from the pain." I smiled darkly at it. "But my dear Lucius...it's about to catch up with you." I caught its eye and held it, bright blue to dreary darkness. 

Cole was quiet through our entire exchange, silently watching us. He was smart enough to get the general gist of what had happened. I fumbled around for his hand, squeezing it hard enough to bruise when I finally found it.