Chapter 19-The Note

Dedicated for putting up with me :P Wuuuuv youuuuuu

Warning-there is some romance in this chapter ;) Apologies for those of you who don't like the kiss scenes. I just needed to have them to show how their relationship stables and progresses, that kinda thing. Plus, I'm like awww every time they kiss :D lmao. Besides, it took them long enough to get to this point, so they kinda earned it ;) hehe

SHOULD I DO COLE OR RAVEN'S POV NEXT CHAPTER? COMMENT AND TELL ME AND I'LL DO WHOEVER GETS THE MOST WANTING THEM :)

P.S-sorry for any mistakes, I wasn't very inspired with this chap. Just point out anything that's wrong and I'll change it :) 

***

Chapter 19

Cole and I now sat at the kitchen table in silence, trying to determine who had sent the note. But I couldn't focus properly. The words just kept spinning around and around in my head, not making any sense. 

Oopsie daisy, looks like a knife slipped. Wish I'd thought of doing that myself. Oh well, maybe next time...

"What do you think it means?" Cole finally asked, breaking the tense silence. Slowly, I raised my head from my hands to look at him.
"It means someone is after us. Me, considering who it was addressed to. Go figure, right?" I chuckled humorlessly.

 I went to get up and leave, but Cole's hand on my arm stopped me. I gazed into his dark, dark eyes and found myself getting lost in the scorching fire within them.
"Raven, you're not doing this on your own you know. I'm here, and I'll fight with you to the end. You're not alone."
I just looked at him, my face blank. "Of course I'm alone Cole. I always have been and that won't change."

I tried to dislodge his grip, but he only tightened his hold.
"No," he growled, roughly pushing me against the wall, pressing his body against mine to hold me there. "We're not doing this. You feel something for me too, I can bloody well see it in your eyes. Why are you fighting it?" His stormy eyes bore into mine and I found myself speaking the truth before I could stop myself.
"It's safer to be on my own," I said quietly, looking away from his searching gaze. "I won't let my heart get broken again. I've been hurt too many times. Too many people just leave and I can't handle that, not again. I don't want...I don't want to fall apart. Damn it, I'm just trying to protect myself!"
"I won't hurt you Raven," Cole whispered softly. "Why are you condemning me before I've even had a chance?"

Suddenly, something roared to life inside of me, and I pushed him away. He stumbled back, surprised, and just looked at me as I paced the cramped kitchen like a caged tiger.
"You can't just leave any part of me be, can you? You have to weasel your way into every single part of my heart. You already mean way to much to me and if anything happened-" I cut myself off with a sob.

And then I was in his arms, crying onto his shoulder.
"Shhhh, " he soothed. "I can't stand to see you like this. Nothing will happen to me, I promise."
"Y-you can't know that," I sobbed. "Fighting d-demons is dangerous Cole. My mum knew that. That's why she tried to protect me from it for as long as she could."
"I know it's dangerous but... Well, I'm me. I'm Cole. I don't get hurt."

Slowly, I peeled myself away from his now wet t-shirt and looked up at him, taking in his reassuring smile. I slowly shook my head at him, tears still spilling onto my cheeks.
"It's that kind of attitude that will get you killed. You think you're above death but you're not."
"Raven, I know that it's dangerous, and I know that I could get killed at any moment. But I won't. And you know why?"
"Why?" I sniffled.
"Because I'll have you, waiting for me to come home. Or you'll be there, fighting by my side. And either one of those things gives me the strength to go on. To fight."