Chapter 17-Don't Go

Dedicated because...well Zoe, you'll see at the end of the chapter ;) 

-----> That's Raven on the side. She doesn't have brown hair there but...ya know ;) You can't have everything. Just...IMAGINE her with brown hair :D 

Chapter 17

Raven's POV

A few hours earlier 

All I wanted to do was stay out here in the rain and drown in my misery. But the police wouldn't let me do that. The crying sky was the only thing that I understood at the moment, because that was all I wanted to do. I just wanted to curl into a ball and cry. 

 But no one would let me just sit out in the rain with Izzy cradled in my arms. I was hauled out of the cold and into a car, a warm blanket wrapped around me as reassuring words were uttered. But the physical warmth did nothing to melt the ice around my shattered heart. 

 I didn't really pay any attention to my surroundings. Everything felt so far away, so distanced. All I could focus on was the agony of my crumbling heart. The intense throbbing radiating throughout my seemingly shattered body. God, the pain was numbing. As the hurt slowly trickled out of me, there was nothing left. 

 That was when the tears finally stopped. Because now, I was just too shocked to feel. To think. To move. 

 Now that my mind wasn't in that hazy state of pain, I looked with cold eyes at my surroundings. It would seem I was in a police station now, although I couldn't tell you how I got there. From the looks of it, I was in an interviewing room. There was a table in front of me which was in the centre of the room. I was sitting in a black chair, with another to my left and two opposite. It all looked so clean, so cold. 

 Just then, a kind looking woman came into the room. She wore a blue uniform and had kind brown eyes, like milk chocolate. Her skin was really tanned, giving her an almost Spanish look, and her dark brown hair matched her eyes nicely. 

 "Hey there sweetie," she said, her voice as sweet as honey, although I could hear the steel beneath. I just looked at her and said nothing. She sat down opposite me and shuffled some papers on the desk before laying them down flat. 

 After a few minutes of silence, the woman finally broke it. 
"I'm Anne," she said, flashing me a reassuring smile. "What's your name?" 
I looked at her for a moment, before grudgingly muttering, "Raven." 
She looked pleased at my cooperation. "It's nice to meet you Raven," she said. Again, I said nothing. Why was I here? 
"I know you're probably wondering what you're doing here. We just need you to fill in this statement about what happened. Do you think you could do that for me?" Wordlessly, I nodded in reply to her question. She grinned at me and slid a paper and pen towards me. 

 "Can you tell me what happened Raven?" she asked slowly. "Take as much time as you need." I swallowed. I didn't want to tell her what happened. I didn't want to revisit that part of my recent past. I'd buried it along with all the other painful memories. I wanted it to stay buried. 
"Raven?" the woman prodded. 
I sighed tiredly. "I don't want to think about it."
Anne smiled at me sadly. "I understand that but...you need to. To get this all behind you, you need to tell us what happened."  

 Sighing again, I looked away from her, trying to think up a believable story, since I couldn't tell her that Izzy was killed by a demon. Unless, of course, I wanted to end up in a mental asylum. 
"We...we were walking to the bus stop from the hospital," I began slowly. "Izzy and I had just been to visit her mum who'd had a heart attack in the playground at school. I'm Izzy's teacher, and I decided to take her in until the authorities found somewhere more permanent for her to stay..." 
"That was very kind of you," Anne said, and I heard the sincerity in her voice. I tried to smile at her, but I'm pretty sure I ended up looking like a scary clown or something equally demented.