Chap. 2

"Thanks so much Roger," I said, before hurrying off to track practice. I was running late, but if I pushed it, I could still make it on time.

When I reached the fields, all the guys were standing in the center of the track, surrounding Coach Daniels.

"What's going on?" I asked, dropping my bag. I jogged over to them.

"Drug testing results," DeAndre said, rolling his eyes. "Standard stuff."

"Any positives?" I asked.

"That information isn't released dumbass," Trent said, shaking his head at me.

"Just curious," I muttered.

"Aw, look at how embarrassed he is," Allan called from across the circle, causing the rest of the guys to crack up.

Kelly came marching up, a list on her hand. "The following people need to report to my office: Eric, Noland, Doug, and Taylor."

It didn't take a genius to figure out what was going on.

"Oh, and Mason."

All eyes turned to look at me. I heard the murmurs and whispers of my teammates. Surprise was on some faces, but betrayal flashed across my closest teammates' faces.

I followed Kelly to her office, my heart pounding. I'd never touched a drug in my life.

I waited as Kelly talked to one guy at a time, leaving me for last.

"Mason," she called, raising her eyebrows at me.

I eased myself into one of her chairs. "What's going on?"

"Your drug test results," she said, sliding the paper over to me. "You tested positive for amphetamines."

"For what?"

She sighed. "Do you know what amphetamines are Mason?"

I shook my head. "Kelly, I swear to you that I've never touched whatever the hell that is."

"The other boys were asked to leave the team on the spot, give up their scholarships. But after doing some research, it seems it's not so simple when it comes to you."

I felt my heart pound in my chest. I could no longer breathe. "What do you mean?"

"People with diabetes have been known to test positive for amphetamines, opiates, or cocaine."

"I've never tested positive before Kelly. And I've never touched a drug."

"Amphetamines produce an increase in energy."

I understood what she was saying. I had the highest endurance level on the team, so that symptom fit.

"They also decrease appetite, increase alertness, and cause euphoria. Since the drug test could be false, I'm taking a secondary approach."

"Does Coach Daniels know?"

She shook her head. "Your drug results came back late. I just got them less than half an hour ago. I haven't had the chance to talk to Coach Daniels about you yet." She looked at her watch. "Well, you might as well stay here. He'll be here any minute anyways."

I drummed my fingers on the table, biting the inside of my lip. How could my drug test results come back positive? I'd worked so hard to make it this far, and now everything was balancing on this piece of paper.

After ten minutes of silence, Coach Daniels came storming in.

"What the hell is going on?" he demanded.