Chap. 32

“How was your brother’s wedding?” Samuel asked, as I made myself a protein shake.

“It was fine I guess,” I said, shaking up the protein shake. “They’re married, so I guess it was a success.”

Samuel rolled his eyes. “You better have good pics.”

“I took plenty of pics so you can rip-off my brother’s wedding ideas,” I promised, before downing the protein shake.

“Just a warning that this morning’s training is supposed to be brutal.”

I sighed, shaking my head. “When isn’t it?”

“Isn’t that the truth?”

I grabbed my track bag and phone before heading down to Norman for my daily physical therapy.

“How’s the shoulder today?” Norman asked, as I tossed my stuff on the floor.

“It’s tight,” I admitted, taking a seat on the table. “And I didn’t train yesterday afternoon, so I’m not entirely sure why.”

“Let me evaluate,” Norman said.

The evaluation was short before we went straight into exercises to help loosen it up.

“You’ve got to layoff the training,” Norman warned. “You’re going to permanently re-damage your shoulder.”

“If I layoff the training then I don’t medal at the Olympics,” I pointed out.

“That’s not true.”

“Yeah, it pretty much is.”

“Well at the rate you’re going, you’re not going to have use of your shoulder as early as next week.”

“I think that’s a little melodramatic.”

“Mark my words,” he promised.

 ~*~

“Shut that damn thing off,” Samuel shouted, as I rolled over to shut off my alarm clock.

I dragged myself out of bed, biting back a yawn as I stumbled into the kitchen.

“What are you doing up so early?” Samuel demanded.

“Rehab,” I answered, as I gathered the ingredients to make myself a protein shake.

“Your shoulder bothering you?”

“Hell yeah.”

I put in the ingredients in the blender and went back into my room. I pulled on a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt. I grabbed my Nikes and went back into the kitchen.

My phone went off as I waited for my shake to finish, and I checked the Caller ID. Zoe again. I ignored it, per usual.

“You’re still ignoring her calls?” Samuel asked, coming out into the kitchen.

“She went on a date with Chris Johnson,” I muttered.

“I highly doubt it was a date.”

“What else do you call a guy and a girl going to the movies and dinner?” I demanded, pouring my shake into a container. “I call that a date.”

“You need to stop ignoring her calls,” Samuel chastised.

“I will,” I promised. “After I get a good night’s sleep and am in the mood to talk things out.”

Samuel scoffed. “So like after the Olympics?”

I flicked him off before making my way to rehab, yawning as I bolused for my protein shake before I downed it.