Chap. 25

“You’re making immense improvements,” Doctor Calcutta noted, as she examined my shoulder.

“And?” I prodded.

“You’re cleared to run,” she said, with a smile. “And in two weeks, you’re cleared to hurdle.”

I can handle that.

“Thank you,” I said, with a smile.

“I won’t need to see you for about three months time,” she said, writing up a follow-up scrip. “So in the meantime, stay out of trouble. And if there are any problems, don’t hesitate to call.”

I nodded, accepting the follow-up and leaving her office.

I called Maurice as I headed to my car after making the follow-up appointment, too eager to wait a second longer to tell him the news.

“And the doctor said?” Maurice asked, answering the phone.

“Meet me at the track,” I said, practically bouncing up and down with excitement.

“Mason, we conditioned this morning,” Maurice countered.

“And now we can run.”

“Tomorrow,” Maurice promised. “First thing tomorrow morning I’ll run your ass off.”

I couldn’t help but laugh. “Fine.”

“5 AM at the track,” Maurice ordered, before the line clicked dead.

“5 AM?” I groaned, pressing my forehead to the steering wheel. “Great.”

I drove home, mumbling to myself.

“Hey sweetie,” Eileen said, as I came into the kitchen.

“Hey,” I said, grabbing a Vitamin Water out of the refrigerator.

“So how’d your appointment go?” she asked.

“I’ve been cleared to run.”

She flashed me a smile. “That’s great news!”

“Thanks.” I gave her a quick hug before heading upstairs, practically plowing Carson in the process.

“Hello there handsome,” I said, in a deep voice with a smirk.

“Shut the hell up,” Carson said, rolling his eyes with a laugh.

“Where are you headed?” I asked.

“Downstairs, have you seen Mary-Anne?”

I shook my head.

He brushed past me and headed downstairs.

I watched him go for a few moments, slightly confused. Carson would usually joke around with me after I made a comment like that, banter a little.

I brushed it off and went to find Zoe, ready to tell her the good news.

She was in her room with Chase. Chase was sitting on the floor playing his handheld video game while Zoe read her paper out loud to him from her bed.

“Good, you’re home,” Zoe said, with a bright smile. “Come proofread my paper.”

“How long is it?” I asked, taking a seat on her bed.

“12 pages,” she said, placing her laptop in my lap.

“Joy,” I muttered, as I began to read her paper on Antibiotics Effects on the Body.

Zoe leaned back against her head board, watching Chase play his game.