Chap. 35

I looked in the mirror, a serious expression on my face. I was wearing the US men's hurdles uniform. This was actually about to happen.

"Caleb," Bill called, jogging in. "You're Heat Two. Mason, you're Heat Four. Samuel, you're Heat Five."

I looked at the clock. 10:10 exactly.

"Heat One is already lined up."

I stood at the edge of the locker rooms, watching as the robotic voice called for set. The gunshot went off and they all took off, racing towards the finish line. They'd already cleared most of the hurdles, and the winner was clear. Someone from Russia had smoked the competition.

"Good luck man," I said to Caleb, as he went out to take his place. Samuel and I exchanged glances. This was it. This determined whether you were headed to the Olympics semifinals or whether your journey ended here.

I held my breath as the gunshot went off. Caleb took first by almost one-tenth of a second.

I slowly exhaled. Caleb had done well, and my times were consistent with his. So I should do fine too.

The next heat came in went, but I was too nervous to pay attention. I think a Cuban came in first.

I made my way out to the starting platforms, my heart pounding in my chest. Everything I'd worked for comes down to this moment. Would my journey end here?

I listened to the robotic voice, and then the gunshot went off. Thirteen seconds was all it took, but when I crossed the finish line, I knew it was the worst race I'd possibly ever run.

I turned to look at the scoreboard, my stomach churning. My name was in the fourth place spot. That did not guarantee me a place in semifinals.

I numbly made my way back to the locker rooms, Bill right beside me the entire time. But I didn't hear a word he said. All I knew is that there's a chance, a very good chance, I was done.

13.67. That was my time. I'd never run that slow in my entire life.

Samuel went next, and he came in third. Guaranteed spot.

The last heat came and went, and then it was time to tally up the scores, see who would go to semifinals.

Caleb and Samuel both knew they were going. I was the one whose future was up in the air.

The Qualifying names were flashed, and I searched the list for my name.

Bill found it before I did, and let out a loud cheer, crushing me into a bear hug. I felt a sense of relief course through my body. I was going to the semifinals, tomorrow. I lived to see another day in the 2012 Olympics.

~*~

"I don't know sweetie," mom said, laying her cool hand on my forehead.

"I'm fine mom," I promised, sipping on my water.

"Maybe he's really not any good," Carson said, munching on a breadstick. "And he just needed to get to the Olympics to figure it out."

Carson had just spoken my biggest fear out loud, only he'd said it sarcastically, as a joke.

I took in a deep breath, letting it out slowly. "Thanks for that."

Carson shot me a confused look and I gave him a slight shake of my head, letting him know that this wasn't the time or place.

"Well at least you made it through the semifinals," dad said, nodding at me from across the table. "Tomorrow is a new day and I'm sure you'll do better."

Well that makes one of us.

"I better," I said, taking another sip of my water. "I don't have time to screw up now. This is make it or break it."