Chap. 24

“Keep those knees up,” Maurice ordered.

I had the urge to mock him, but I didn’t have the energy to, so I just shot him a glare instead.

He smirked at me. “Done.”

I walked it out, my hands on my hips and my body aching.

“I hate this,” I clarified, running my fingers through my sweaty hair.

“Just a couple more weeks before we get to the hurdles,” Maurice promised. “But the conditioning is just as important.”

“The conditioning sucks,” I corrected, looking up at the sky as I panted for breath. The clouds were gray and the Sun was gone, but the air was still humid.

“Grab some water and let’s get out of here,” Maurice said, checking his phone. “It won’t be long before the storms come.”

I looked back up at the overcast sky and agreed, grabbing my water and downing it as I followed him out to the parking lot.

“Tomorrow will be a little lighter,” Maurice promised, as I grabbed a towel out of his trunk and took a seat in his passenger seat.

“I’ve heard that before,” I accused, using another towel to start wiping the sweat off of me.

He smirked at me. “This time I mean it.”

“I still don’t believe you.”

“Have you talked to Bill lately?”

I raised my eyebrows at him. “A couple of days ago, why?”

“He wants to put you up against Samuel Lincoln,” Maurice informed me. “Once you’re cleared, of course.”

“What do you mean by put me up against him?”

“Have you guys race each other, see how you hold up against an actual tried-and-true Olympian.”

To be honest? That scared the living shit out of me.

“Yeah, that sounds cool,” I said, with a nod.

Maurice scoffed. “Oh yeah.”

He knows me too well.

“I’m cleared in two more weeks,” I said, stretching out my shoulder. “So I guess that will be the real test to see if I have what it takes.”

He drove me home, and my mom met me once I got inside the door.

“How was practice?” she asked, surveying my sweaty outfit.

“Great,” I answered, heading towards the kitchen.

“What time are you leaving on Sunday?”

I shrugged. “No set time, why?”

“Because I think it would be nice if you’d stay for family dinner.”

She only says that if all my brothers are going to be home, especially Cody.

“I did the campfire last weekend,” I pointed out. “And I’ve played nice all week while he was here. Do I really need to do a family dinner?”

“I’d appreciate it.”

I hate it when she says that.

I let out a frustrated groan, filling up my water bottle in the kitchen. “Fine.”

“Thank you,” mom said, with a bright smile. “I’d give you a kiss, but you’re disgusting sweetie.” She blew me a kiss before leaving the kitchen.