Chap. 12

“So what are you doing?” I asked Amy, as she unwrapped my shoulder.

“Helping you,” she promised.

“I’m not sure if I trust you.”

She rolled her eyes, ignoring me as she finished unwrapping my shoulder. “Lie down, face-down.”

“Yes ma’am,” I agreed, doing as I was told.

“So how was your weekend with Zoe?” Amy asked, as she began to lightly massage my sore shoulder.

“A little tense,” I admitted, closing my eyes. “We spent half of it fighting.”

“What happened?”

“I might’ve kept some things from her.”

“Important things?”

“They were important to her.”

Amy sighed. “You’re so clueless.”

“You’re a jerk,” I muttered, letting out a sigh as she began to dig a little deeper with her massage.

“Just relax,” she ordered. “And keeping stuff from your girlfriend is, like, break-up 101.”

“I fixed it,” I promised.

“Did you take her on a Walker date?”

“Not exactly.”

“Boo.”

I let out a pained laugh, my shoulder unhappy with this massage. “The Walker party was on Saturday, so I kept things simple.”

“I got your invite,” Amy promised. “But I spent my day in the Anatomy lab.”

“Doesn’t even surprise me.”

“I have the power to cause you pain,” Amy warned.

I let out a soft groan as she reached a particularly tight spot on my shoulder.

“It’s going to feel better after this,” Amy promised. “Well, maybe not today. But it will.”

“It better be by Thursday,” I warned. “I can’t have a sore shoulder for the scout.”

“Jesus Mason, I get it,” Amy promised. “You have an Olympic Scout on Thursday.”

“Touchy,” I teased.

“So have you talked to her since you got back?”

“No.”

“Mason!”

“I’ve been busy,” I defended. “I haven’t talked to anyone outside of track. Well, besides Carson, but that was at 3 AM.”

“Call her once I’m done,” she ordered, digging into my shoulder.

I couldn’t help but jump, and then let out a groan. “Damn Amy.”

“It’s like knots on top of knots,” she said, apologetically.

I buried my face in my pillow, the pain almost unbearable.

“Alright, I’m done,” she conceded, after a few more minutes of torture. “Let me get you some ice.”

“Please,” I begged.

She came back a few minutes later with some ice packs and tucked them in around my shoulder.

“I trust I’m leaving you in capable hands with Trevor?” she asked.

“I’ll be fine,” I said, smiling up at her. “Thanks Ames.”