Chap. 29

“You’re good to go,” Marcy said, as I showed her my PDM.

137. I still have no idea how I managed to do it. But I did.

I headed out to the track. Lane 4. Caleb was Lane 5 and Samuel was Lane 3.

I placed my knees on the track and got into a relaxed position. I took a deep breath, readying myself for this race.

“Set,” the voice called.

I straightened out my legs, my lips pressed together. I wasn’t going to lose. I’d never lost a race before, and I wasn’t about to start now.

The gunshot went off. Seven steps, first hurdle. I could feel the adrenaline pumping through my veins. Seven steps, second hurdle. I was flying. This could probably end up being my best time. Seven steps, third hurdle. I was in the lead. Caleb was right behind me on the right, Samuel on the left. But I wasn’t about to lose. Seven steps, fourth hurdle. Caleb was coming up on me, and I picked it up a little. My heart was pounding in my chest. Seven steps, fifth hurdle. Halfway there.

My steps were getting faster, as was my heart. This is the rush I live for. Seven steps, sixth hurdle. Still in the lead. Caleb was close, but I had at least a foot on him, which is all I really need. Seven steps, seventh hurdle. Samuel tripped over the hurdle, but kept going. He still kept right on my tail. But he wasn’t my biggest threat. Caleb was right behind me, catching up with every step.

Seven steps, eighth hurdle. I’d never felt better running. This is what I’d been waiting for, what I was born to do. I could feel it pulsing through my veins. Seven steps, ninth hurdle. One more hurdle and I clenched the win, and my spot on the US Olympic Team.

The next hurdle was just like the rest. Seven steps, tenth hurdle. Except my back leg hit the hurdle. I stumbled just enough for Caleb to surge ahead of me. I caught my balance and sprinted him down, but it was too late. He crossed the finish line not even half a step before me, but he still won.

I slowed to a jog and then to a stop as the names flashed across the screen. My name was in second, Caleb in first and Samuel in third. But all I could see was my name in the second place slot.

Cameras were being shoved in my face, questions were being yelled. But I couldn’t see any of it. I’d lost to Caleb, the statistics were right. Everybody was right.

I looked into a camera, numbly answering questions. I put on a smile as I was joined by Caleb and Samuel, both ecstatic.

As I stood there, I made a promise. I would never come in second place again. It was the worst feeling in the world. To have everything, and then to lose it at the end, after all the hard work to be second-best.

And it would never happen again.

 ~*~

“You did great babe,” Zoe promised.

I didn’t answer, running a comb through my hair before grabbing my phone.

“Are you alright?” she asked, as we headed down the hall to the elevator.

“Fine,” I promised, leaning against the back of the elevator as it took us downstairs.

She gave me a light kiss. “Lighten up, second place isn’t so bad.”

She was right, I shouldn’t be sulking. I should enjoy the last night I had with Zoe, and my family, before I took off for Colorado.

“You’re right,” I agreed, wrapping my arms around her waist.

The elevator opened.

“Calm it down,” Ethan ordered, as we stepped out of the elevator. “Your kid wouldn’t want to know they were made in an elevator.”