Chap. 18

"Eileen sent these up," a female voice said.

"Thanks," I muttered into my pillow.

"You haven't eaten anything since you got home. And it looks like you haven't even put on a pod."

"Go away." Whoever this was, they were very persistent, and although right, I didn't want to deal with anything right now.

"Mason, this is important."

I let out a frustrated groan. "If I put on a pod, will you leave me alone?"

"And eat."

"Go get Carson."

"He's not home."

Damn football practice.

"I can help you."

I looked up to see Zoe, her hands on her hips.

"You remember how?"

She nodded and disappeared into my bathroom. She came back a few seconds later with a pod and insulin.

"Sheila's on the table," I muttered, putting my head back into my pillow.

She handed my PDM to me. "Are you in pain?"

"No, just nauseous, my stomach doesn't handle anesthesia well."

I heard her humming to herself as she got the pod ready. "Is Sheila ready?" she called out.

I plugged in the information. "Sure."

"Three," she called, plunging the pod into my skin. It should've hurt, but I was on so much pain medication, I barely felt a thing.

"Thanks."

"And now this," she said, handing me a platter.

I peeked up to see a plate of frosted brownies. Just the smell of them made me want to puke. "How about something lighter?"

She stared at me for a moment, and then laid her cool hand on my forehead. "I don't think you're doing well." She moved her hand to my cheek. "I've never seen you turn these down before."

"Chicken Noodle Soup?"

She slowly nodded. "Okay." She walked over to the intercom and asked Eileen for some.

She came over to my bed and sat down next to me, rubbing my bare back. "You sure you're doing okay?"

"Just ready for this to be over."

"You had surgery three hours ago. You have to exert more patience than that."

"I'm done being patient."

I heard her laugh. "Well that didn't last long."

I could feel her fingers working through my muscles, and I never wanted her to stop.

The door opened, and a bowl of Chicken Noodle Soup was placed next to me. "I'll be back in fifteen minutes. All of that had better be gone," Eileen ordered, before leaving.

Zoe stopped, and I let out a groan.

She giggled. "Come on Mase, you have to eat something."

I managed to push myself up to a sitting position, my back leaning against a mountain of pillows. "Do we have, like, a lap table or something?"

Zoe took the bowl, putting her palms out flat. "At your service."

I couldn't help but smile. "You don't have to do this."

"I will always do this," she promised. "Anything you need, I'm here."

How did I get so lucky?

"So how's the dance team doing?"

"Next week is the Banquet," she said, as I took a bite of soup. "I get to announce next year's Captain."

"Do you know who yet?"

"I have three girls in mind, so I'll just be watching them around school, watching their leadership skills."

"Using those stalker skills?"

"You know it." She watched me as I took another bite. "Does your shoulder hurt at all?"

I shook my head. "I'm on so much pain medication, that my pod didn't even hurt."

"Dang, why are you so doped up?"

"Apparently shoulder surgery is extremely painful. But once the anesthesia fully wears off, I think I'll get some feeling back."

"You're looking a bit more alive. But maybe that's just because you got some food in you."

"I'm afraid to check my blood sugar."

"Well it's better now than in a hospital bed."

I chuckled and grabbed Sheila, plugging in the information. "What do you think?"

"Well, you're still pretty joyful. So we know you're not high. And they said they closely monitored you during surgery, but you haven't eaten anything. So I'm guessing 80's."

The number popped up on the screen. 84.

"You're good," I commented, grabbing a frosted brownie. My stomach churned, but I closed my eyes and took a bite. It tasted good, but didn't feel good going down.

"Are you going to throw up?" Zoe's voice asked.

"I don't think so."

"Good."

I finished off the brownie and then smiled at her, frosting all over my mouth. "Sexy?"

She burst into laughter, shaking her head.

I wiped my face and gave her a smile.

"You're such a goofball," she said, lying out across my bed. She let out a small sigh.

"What's up butter cup?" I asked, looking over at her.

"Just thinking," she promised, looking up at me with a smile.

I went to check my blood sugar. "Is it anything important?"

She leaned up and kissed my nose. "Nope."

109. Not bad.

"So have you decided on a college?"

She was silent for a few moments, still staring at the ceiling.

"What?"

"I'm not going to college."

I absorbed the information. "So then what are you going to do?"

"You have to promise not to laugh at me."

"I'm not going to laugh at your dream."

"It sounds silly, but it's what I want to do." She took in a deep breath and let it out slowly. "I want to be a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader."

I stared at her for a moment, trying to take this in. "You want to be a cheerleader?"

She nodded. "It's been my dream since I was a little girl."

I raised my eyebrows at her. "Well why didn't you ever tell me?"

"Because it was stupid and silly and I just thought that I would outgrow it. But after talking with Emma this past week, I realized that it's something I really want to do."

"So you're just going to train for that this year?"

"No, I have a job lined up. And no, it's not flipping burgers."

"I never thought you'd be flipping burgers." I puffed up my cheeks and let it out. "So what's your job?"

"I've signed on full-time with Victoria's Secret."

I nodded, and then something clicked. "Wait, full-time? Does that mean, like, undergarments?"

She let out a sigh. "Yeah, that means you're looking at Victoria Secret's next bra and underwear model."

"Is that something you want to do?"

"It'll give me enough money to get my own apartment, so yeah." Her eyes flickered over to me. "Are you mad?"

I shook my head. "I've supported your modeling since you first told me."

"Even if it's bras and underwear?"

"As long as you're wearing something."

She rolled her eyes.

"I mean, it's the same as a bikini, right?"

"Well, technically. But girls can walk around in bikinis. They can't walk around in their undergarments."

"I don't really see a difference."

"It's a society thing."

"Now that I do understand."

"Emma also offered me a job modeling for her company."

That was news to me. "Well did you take it?"

"I took it as a part-time job, and I refused pay. She's done so much for me; I couldn't possibly take any money."

"That's a lot to keep from me," I pointed out.

"This literally all happened in the past couple of days," she promised. "And I knew you were coming home this weekend, and I wanted to talk to you about it in person."

I studied her face, unable to stay angry with her.

"I wasn't keeping anything from you," she promised. "I just wanted us to talk about this together, in case you didn't agree."

"Babe, this is your dream," I pointed out. "My opinion shouldn't matter."

"Your opinion will always matter." She leaned up and kissed me.

"Well congratulations, you're now an EJW model."

"At least I get to stay clothed in this one."

"I'm kind of excited for your new Victoria's Secret pictures," I teased.

"Perv," she answered, slapping my leg. A smile broke out across her face.

"Are you going to be one of those girls blown up all around the stores?"

"No. I'll just be in the Victoria's Secret magazine."

"I'll have to re-subscribe."

She shook her head. "You're so gross."

"I'm joking."

"I know."

The door opened and Eileen came in, inspecting my soup bowl. "Good job."

"Thanks, do I get a treat?"

"You sure do, the joy of living another day." She took my empty soup bowl and left, humming.

"I love her," Zoe said, after the door closed behind her.

"So do I."

Zoe walked over to my bean bag chair and picked up a bunch of movies. "I picked these up downstairs. Want to watch a movie?"

"That would be awesome."

"Eat, Pray, Love?" she asked, holding it up.

"Kiss, My, Ass," I answered, causing her to crack up.

"Okay, what about Friday the 13th?"

"Love that movie," I said, nodding towards the DVD player.

"Just be warned, I scream during horror films," she said, plugging it in.

"Why does that not surprise me?"

She turned off the lights and stretched out across my bed. "If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. I don't think I'll be too wrapped up in this movie."

~*~

"I come bearing gifts," dad called, coming into the room.

"Please say the words pain pills," I said, as Zoe rubbed my back.

"Pain pills."

"Funny."

He chuckled and handed me a pain pill. "No, but I really did. And I brought a drink." He handed me a bottle of water with a straw. "I figured you didn't have it in you to sit up and drink."

"That's amazing," Zoe said, as I took the pill. "How in the world did you think of that?"

Dad tapped his head. "I'm not just sexy."

I almost sprayed the water out of my mouth from laughing.

"Eileen wanted me to tell you to eat. I'm not sure what you're supposed to be eating, but eat it."

I stared at the grilled cheese she'd sent up here about ten minutes ago. "Yeah, sure."

"She said she'll be up here unannounced, and if it's not gone, you'll be sorry." He laughed. "She tries to be so serious when she threatens." He left, leaving the bottle of water on my table.

"I like you guys' new relationship," Zoe said.

"It's still a bit weird for me."

My phone went off, and Zoe grabbed it for me.

"Who is it?" I muttered.

"Amy."

"Answer it and put it on speaker."

"Hello?" Zoe chirped, happily.

"How's our baby?" Amy asked.

"Well he was pretty good at first, but now the pain is hitting him, and he's kind of miserable."

"Kind of," I scoffed.

"I'm taking it that he's in a lot of pain?" Amy asked.

"Well he just took a pain pill, so he has to wait for it to kick in," Zoe said, giving me a look.

"Wait? I don't comprehend," I muttered.

"Be nice to Zoe," Amy chastised. "She's putting up with you."

"Thank you," Zoe said, sticking her tongue out at me.

"Goodbye Amy," I called.

"Sleep it off!"

I reached over and hung up the phone.

"That was rude," Zoe said, placing my phone on the table, next to Sheila.

"Oops?"

"Mason," Carson called, poking his head in my door. "There's a dude on the landline for you."

"Why is everybody calling me?" I groaned. "Who is it?"

"I don't know, some guy named Bill?"

My insides froze. "Bill?"

He nodded. "He's waiting on you to answer."

Zoe handed me the landline in my room and I took a deep breath before answering it. "Hello?"

"Mason!" Bill's voice boomed. "I feel like we haven't been formally introduced. My name is Bill Ackerson, I'm the Olympic Scout."

"Yes sir, I know who you are."

He laughed. "I'm having a get-together tomorrow at my place."

"A get-together?"

"It's a little training session, so I can see all my boys against each other."

"How many boys are there?"

"Including you? Three."

I felt my insides churn. I couldn't believe my luck. There's no way I was training tomorrow.

"Now these boys have been through all the trials to get here. You I'm just sort of bending the rules for. After all, everyone in the track world knows who you are. But they know what to expect, understand?"

"Yes sir."

He laughed again. "Don't worry, I know you had shoulder surgery today. I'd just like you to come, if possible, to see my other boys. I know that you must be in a lot of pain, so don't feel obligated to come, but I wanted to inform you."

"I'll be there."

"That's my boy. I'll see you at 10 AM. I gave someone named Eileen my address." The line clicked dead.

"You look like you've seen a ghost," Zoe commented, taking the phone from me. "So where will you be?"

"At Bill's house tomorrow."

"Like this?" she asked, gesturing towards my bandaged shoulder. "You must be crazy."

"No arguing that."

Carson poked his head back in the door. "Everyone's dying to know what he wanted."

"Who's everyone?"

"The entire household is standing in the hallway."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm going to his house tomorrow at 10 to see the other two boys he's sending to the Olympic trials."

"He knows you can't run, right?" Carson asked.

"Yeah, he said he just wants me to be there."

"Yeah, because that'll go well," Zoe muttered.

"What do you mean?" I asked, as Carson closed the door.

"You're going to watch people jump hurdles? Yeah right. If there's any possible way, you'll join them." She shook her head. "It's a bad idea."

"I'm going to be in so much pain that I don't think that'll be the first thing on my mind."

"I don't know Mason," Zoe said, resuming rubbing my back, "I don't think this is going to end well."

**************************************************************************************************************

So what did you guys think about the surgery? What about Zoe's confessions on college & signing on with Victoria's Secret? Were you surprised to hear her secret confession about the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders? And Bill's invitation to Mason?

Sorry the update's a day late. I spent the day with my family yesterday, from sunrise to sunset. I didn't have a moment to update. Oh the joys of Thanksiving week :D Nah, but I love them.

Currently watching the Texas A&M vs. Missouri game. There has been a lot of good college football games today (an yesterday). Tell me about your team!

Teaser: Mason's visit with Bill in which he meets a few actual Olympians. And a little bit of family time :P

Update: Monday. No early update because I updated late. Sorry :(