Chap. 17

"Mason?" a voice asked.

I jumped up out of bed, and fell onto the floor. Same situation as Friday, and the same pain.

"Mason?" the voice asked again. I opened my eyes to see Chase looking down at me.

I held in my cries of pain and clutched my left shoulder. I slowly let out the breath I'd been holding in. "Chase?" I said, slowly.

He nodded eagerly.

"Could you get someone for me?"

He nodded. "I'm sorry."

"No, it's okay. You're okay."

He ran out of the room and I rolled over, moaning in pain.

"Mason?" Zoe's voice called. She bent down next to me. "What's wrong?"

"Please help me," I groaned, not caring that it's Zoe and that I kind of looked pathetic right now.

"Okay," she said, softly. "Let me go and get you some ice, alright?"

"Okay."

She disappeared and I let out another moan of pain. I took a deep breath and let it out slowly, trying to relax. But it was of no use, my shoulder was too painful.

"What happened?" dad asked, coming in. Zoe was right behind him.

"It was an accident," I moaned.

Dad rolled me over and placed an ice pack on my shoulder. "Just relax."

"Yeah, right."

"I know, not much help." He turned and said something I couldn't hear to Zoe.

"What?" I asked.

"You just relax, understand?"

"Please, enlighten me on how that's possible," I snapped.

"Can I get you anything? Are you hungry?"

Do I mess with Diabetes? Or do I just concentrate on my shoulder?

"I'm fine," I muttered, deciding that Diabetes could come later for once.

"Here," Zoe said.

"Here what?" I asked.

A needle was plunged into my shoulder, and someone was holding me down.

"What was that?" I yelled.

"It'll help, trust me," dad called.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I knew you wouldn't let me."

The ice was replaced on my shoulder.

"Now relax," dad ordered. "The pain will start to subside, that much I promise."

"What did you inject me with?"

"A pretty strong pain killer. Nothing illegal, I'm not jeopardizing your Olympic chances, but strong."

His promise held true, because within the next five minutes, the pain subsided, leaving me with just an achy feeling.

"Are you alright to stand up?" dad asked.

"Yeah," I panted.

Dad helped me to my feet, and I stumbled a little.

Zoe was quick to catch me, her eyes searching mine with worry.

"I asked you if you needed anything," dad reprimanded. "What can I get you?"

I took in a few deep breaths, clearing my head. The fog was setting in, and fighting it wasn't an option.

Zoe pressed Sheila into my hands. "Your PDM, use it."

I checked my blood sugar, already knowing what the result would be.

She beeped in at 57. Higher than I thought.

"Dammit Mason," Rob said, shaking his head. "Stay here, I'll grab you some food."

Zoe helped me sit down. "What's your name?"

I'd played this game enough times to know that it meant things were bad.

"Mason Walker."

"What's your birthday?"

"September 17th."

"How old are you?"

"19."

"What track event do you do?"

"Jump hurdles."

She nodded. "As long as you're still responsive." She looked at the clock. "How many brothers do you have?"

"Six."

"Name them oldest to youngest."

This was the ultimate test to see if I was still with it or not.

"Ethan, Cody, Carson, Joseph, James, and Chase."

"Good. Which way is left?"

"No idea."

She nodded. "Alright, it's still okay."

Dad came back and handed me a glass of orange juice and a plate of frosted brownies.

"Orange juice before the brownies," he instructed to Zoe. "I've got to go deal with your brother, he's high." He shook his head. "The two of you, I swear." He disappeared.

I leaned against Zoe, biting back a yawn. "Where's Chase?"

"Carson took him out."

"Good." I sipped my orange juice. "You can leave if you want."

She let out a dry laugh. "You've got to be kidding Walker."

I smiled. "That's what I thought you'd say."

~*~

"You owe me an answer," I called, storming into Coach Daniels's office.

"Hello to you too," he said, with a smile.

"I want to know what Bill said. It's been eating at me all weekend."

"First let's talk about the shoulder. Surgery?"

"First let's talk about Bill. Olympics?"

Coach Daniels sighed. "Alright, we'll do it your way. Take a seat."

"I'll stand."

He smirked. "Always have to be stubborn don't you?" He pulled out his notepad. "I have Bill's exact words right here."

"Don't make me angry," I growled. "You won't like me when I'm angry."

"Don't go Hulk on me." He put on his reading glasses. "Bill's exact words, not mine."

I nodded, my stomach churning.

"Mason Walker: Mason has potential. If he can run like that with a dislocated shoulder, I can't wait to see him at full strength. I'd like to see him in the qualifying rounds for the Olympics."

It felt like the world had froze. "What?"

He smiled. "There we go."

"He wants me to go to the Olympics?"

"Qualifying rounds, remember?"

I nodded. "At full strength?"

Coach Daniels grimaced. "And that's where we have the problem."

"When are the qualifiers?"

"9:30 AM on June 23rd," Coach Daniels recited.

"Well that gives me plenty of time," I said, leaning against his desk. "I can have shoulder surgery by then."

Coach Daniels nodded. "So it's decided then?"

"We'll schedule it for this week. That should give me plenty of recovery time."

"You're going to need a coach," Coach Daniels said, pain evident on his face. "These words are so hard for me to say. But you know all the red tape and NCAA rules. I can't be your Olympic coach."

I realized the magnitude of what he was saying. "So the track team here?"

"It's not your future."

I sat down, my heart heavy. "But I just got here. Track season hasn't even officially begun yet. I can't leave now."

"Mason, if you didn't leave to pursue your Olympic dreams I'd be upset. This is college track. What you're going to do is much bigger and better."

I closed my eyes. I'd built a strong relationship with Coach Daniels this year. Was I willing to give that up?

"Don't be stupid Mason. This is the Olympics we're talking about."

I nodded. "So I guess this is it?"

Coach Daniels nodded, the weight of the decision weighing on him as it was on me.

He wrapped me up into a loose hug, careful not to agitate my shoulder.

"I'll be there in London," he said, stepping away. "And I'll be your loudest supporter."

"Thanks for everything Coach Daniels," I said, quietly.

"No Mason, thank you. It was a pleasure working with you."

I paused as I went to leave his office. It would be the last time I'd ever be in here.

"You'll be alright," he said, with a nod.

"Goodbye," I said, softly.

"Goodbye Mason."

I took a deep breath and left, making my way back to my dorm. I'd finish out my year here, but that would be it. I'd be off to the Olympics. "Bigger and better things," Coach Daniels had said.

Why did I feel like I was making the wrong decision?

~*~

"Tell me I'm making the right decision," I begged to Carson.

"Are you serious right now?" Carson demanded.

"I don't need your attitude."

"Mason, it's the Olympics. I'm not really following what's happening right now."

"I just feel like this is the wrong decision," I muttered.

"It's not," Carson promised. "Now get your shit together."

"Okay," I conceded, and then the line clicked dead.

"Goodbye to you too," I muttered, calling dad.

"I need a surgeon," I said, as dad answered the phone.

"Hello to you too," dad said. "Now what's this?"

I told him everything Coach Daniels had told me.

"So it sounds like you need a coach too."

"Yeah, that'll be fun to find. Hey, my son has Diabetes that he battles every day. Would you like to train him for the Olympics?"

"I have a couple of people in mind, one in particular. Don't worry about it, alright? When would you like the surgery?"

"This week so I can recover faster."

"I'll call the surgeon and see the earliest we can get you in. I don't think you'll be able to get in until Friday though. You've been taking Ibufprofen right?"

"Yeah."

"Yeah, stop taking it now and I can get you in for Friday."

"Sounds like a plan. Thanks dad."

"No problem, anything else you need?"

The conversation was sending chills up my spine. I was having an actual conversation with my dad that didn't involve delivering bad news or arguing.

"Nope, I'm good."

"I'll call you after I speak with the doctor."

"Thanks."

"You know it's not a problem." The line clicked dead.

I took a long, hot shower to wipe away the doubt and then set to my shoulder stretches, gritting my teeth and clenching my jaw the entire time.

"Having fun?" Amy's voice asked.

"Loads," I answered, turning to face her. "What's up?"

"I hear you're leaving us."

"Oh you do, do you?"

She laughed. "I've heard some crazy rumors about you today."

"Oh really, and what's that?"

"That you were offered a spot on the Olympic team and you're flying out to London today."

"Yeah, in my dreams."

"So what's the story?" She shook her head. "Wait, Brooke and Courtney are on the-"

"I have arrived," Courtney announced, stepping into the room. "You may proceed."

Brooke walked in behind her. "I told her not to do it."

"So the story?" Amy asked, ignoring both of them.

"Bill was impressed by my skills and wants to see me at Qualifiers on June 23rd."

"And the shoulder?" Courtney asked.

"Surgery this Friday."

"Damn you're fast."

"All thanks to the father."

The three of them exchanged glances. "What?" Brooke asked.

"Oh, yeah, crazy story. My dad took me to meet Lolo Jones this weekend."

"Lolo Jones?" Courtney asked.

"Don't use her name in a question. Please don't tell me that you don't know who she is."

"That's a lot of don'ts. Can you speak in English?"

"You know who Lolo Jones is, correct?"

"Why would I ask you if I knew?"

"She's a hurdler," Amy said, rolling her eyes. "If you've ever looked through Mason's DVDs, her documentary is in there."

"So he took you meet her?" Brooke asked.

"Yeah, and then he apologized for being a suck-ass father."

"He did what?" Courtney asked, her jaw dropping in shock.

"Yeah, imagine my disbelief when he pulls this on me. But then he broke down into tears. My dad only bullshits so far, you know."

"So what did you say?" Amy asked.

"Well I forgave him, of course. What am I going to say? No dad, I hate you."

"After all he's put you through? You know that's what I'd say," Brooke muttered.

"It's different when it's actually your dad." I sucked in through my teeth. "Please get me some ice." I climbed into my bed and lied face down.

"Did you attend any classes today?" Brooke asked, picking up my room.

"Nope, that's what I have Roger for."

"You don't deserve to be in college," Courtney muttered. "And of course you'll pass your Finals."

"Never failed one."

Amy placed ice on my bare shoulder, causing me to jump. "A warning would've been nice," I muttered.

"Have you changed your pod lately?"

"Yes mother, I changed it over the weekend."

"Sorry for caring."

I pressed my face into the pillow.

"So are you ready for the Olympics?" Courtney asked.

I went answer, but the pain in my shoulder caused a groan to escape my lips instead.

"You want any pain pills?" Amy asked.

"Tylenol."

"You want Tylenol? I'm sure I can find you something stronger."

"I can't have any Ibuprofen."

"Oh, for the surgery? Okay. What do you want to drink?"

"Vitamin Water."

Courtney chuckled. "Yeah, if you have any."

I heard the door click open.

"Aw hell, Mason!" Trevor yelled.

"In my room," I called back.

"You have company and you didn't tell me?" he demanded from the doorway.

I looked up to face him. "You told me you were going out tonight."

Amy scoffed behind him. "Yeah, another strip club Trevor? Do they know you by name?"

"They sure do, and I know my strippers," Trevor answered.

"Yeah, go cat fight somewhere else. Did we have any Vitamin Water?" I asked.

"One left." Amy handed me the pills and water and I quickly downed it.

"Well now I'm leaving. Mason, we're talking about this later."

"Yeah, I mean what it shame it must be for you to have to see me, right?" Amy called after him.

"Any time I have to see your face it's a shame," Trevor called, slamming the door behind him.

"Thanks Amy," I muttered, closing my eyes. "That's exactly what I wanted to deal with right now."

~*~

"Mason!" Chase called, as I walked up to the front door.

"Hey buddy!"

He wrapped his arms around my legs. "Why are you back?"

"I'll be here for a little while."

I heard a bark from inside the house.

"What's that?" I asked, dragging Chase inside with me. I dropped my stuff on the floor and Ralph came up to me, sniffing me.

"What's this?" I asked, as Chase let go of me. I dropped to my knees and scratched Ralph behind his ears. "Hey there buddy."

"Zoe brought her puppy over yesterday!" Chase kissed Ralph on the top of the head. "He's my friend."

"Oh, it's just you," Cody said, coming out of the kitchen.

"Were you expecting someone else?" I asked, standing up.

"Anyone else."

"I wasn't being a prick."

"You're always being a prick."

"What's a prick?" Chase asked.

"Nice," Cody muttered. "It's Mason's alternate name. Just don't call him that in front of mom or dad."

"Asshole," I muttered, storming into the kitchen.

"Hey honey," mom said, kissing my cheek. "I'm headed off, but I'll call you."

"Where's dad?"

A smile played on her lips. "He's at work. But he'll be home soon." She left, humming to herself.

"And I hope you burn in fucking hell," Joseph called, storming into the kitchen.

"Whoa," I called.

"Don't talk to me," he muttered, yanking open the refrigerator.

"What's the number?"

"None of your business, that's what."

"Wow, 500s? What happened to you today?"

He gripped the counter. "Mason, stop."

I nodded. "Duly noted. Did you eat something or is it just a bad day?"

"Just shut up for once in your damn life," Joseph growled.

"Being high sucks."

Joseph poured himself a glass of water and stormed out of the kitchen.

I went upstairs. Carson was sitting in the hallway, his forearms resting on his knees.

"That kid is something else," he muttered.

"Was that you he was yelling at?"

He nodded. "And I thought you were a grizzly? You're like a kitty cat compared to him."

"A kitty cat?"

"It's the truth!"

"So you're on the floor in the hallway because?"

"He punched me and I didn't feel like getting back up."

"He punched you?"

Carson nodded. "Popped me right in the jaw. It was a nice hit, don't get me wrong, but damn. I'm so over the kid's attitude."

"He'll be out here soon. Just give him his berth."

"You look like hell."

"Thanks."

"What happened?"

"I told you dude."

"Oh, the whole no Ibuprofen thing? It's really taking its toll on you."

"Thanks. That's really what I wanted to hear."

He chuckled. "Well you only have the rest of today to go."

"So how is mom handling Ralph?" I asked, sitting down next to him in the hallway.

"She's getting used to him. She actually pets the thing now."

"That must be hilarious to watch."

"A riot," Carson said, a smirk on his face.

"You mad bro?" Ethan called, strolling down the hallway. He was on the phone.

"Nah, not really," Carson called.

Ethan shot him a murderous glare before slamming his bedroom door shut behind him.

"He's house shopping with Sara," Carson explained to me. "So they meet here, and then mom helps them out with whatever they need, and then they leave at night back to their own apartment. It's so confusing and unnecessary."

I couldn't help but laugh. "How's the house hunt going?"

"Hell if I know."

I rolled my eyes, standing up. "Where's Zoe?"

"She's going out with her friends tonight."

"I thought she did that on Fridays," I whined.

"She switched it tonight."

"What? Why?"

"She switched it for you dumbass. Damn." He shook his head. "You really don't deserve her."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm sure that's not it."

"No, it is."

"How would you know that?"

"Because I'm not a dumbass." He stood up. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to make sure someone's drinking with Joseph."

"So you're cheating on me?" I called, as headed downstairs.

"You cheated on me first," he called back.

I laughed my way into my room, and then winced at the pain it stirred up in my shoulder.

My phone went off.

"Hello?" I asked, without looking at the Caller ID.

"I found a coach," dad called out, cheerfully.

"And how did you manage to do that?"

"Easily. He'll be calling you any minute."

"What's his name?"

"He'll tell you." The line clicked dead and I rolled my eyes.

I stretched out across my bed and turned on the TV. My phone went off again, and I had a feeling it was the new coach.

"Hello?" I asked, without bothering to look at the Caller ID. It would just be an unknown number.

"Mason Walker?" Maurice's voice asked.

"Aren't you the funny one?" I muttered. "What do you want?"

"I'm Coach Maurice, and I'll be your Olympic coach."

"Shut up," I called, my heart pounding in my chest. "Are you serious?"

"Did you just tell me to shut up?"

"Oh please Maurice, cut the act. Are you being for real?"

"Of course I'm being for real. Starting as soon as possible, you and I will be training together again."

"Have I ever mentioned how much I love you?"

"I think I got the point when you cried your eyes out at graduation."

"I didn't cry my eyes out," I muttered.

"I'm standing on your front porch."

"What? Why?"

"I'm coming to check out your shoulder and see how much of a setback this is."

"Mason, Maurice is here," Eileen called through the intercom.

I didn't bother answering. He'd come up whether he was welcome or not.

"Well you're wearing a sling," Maurice said, entering my room. "That shows me something right there."

"Shut up."

He laughed. "Let me see."

"Look, Maurice, I like you and everything, but not like that," I teased, as I took off my shirt.

"You could get me put in jail dumbass. Shut up." He inspected my shoulder, clicking his tongue. "Mind if I touch it?"

"If you move it or grip it too tightly, I will have to attack you."

He ran his fingers over my shoulder blade and then the separation in my collarbone. "Definitely separated. Damn Mason, you don't mess around."

"When I go, I go full out," I joked, pulling my shirt back on.

"And the surgery's tomorrow?"

"9 AM."

"How ready are you?"

"I'm ready to start training again. This damn shoulder has kept me out of track for way too long."

Maurice clapped me on the back. "That's my boy. I'll see you tomorrow. Get plenty of rest."

"You'll see me tomorrow?"

"Well I'll stop by to check on you."

"Aw, you do love me."

He rolled his eyes. "Rest."

"Sir yes sir."

He left, and moment later, Zoe came in, dressed like she was going out.

"Hey," I said, with a smile.

"Hey," she said, throwing her arms around my neck and giving me a kiss.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to the Karaoke Club tonight," she said, stepping away from me.

"I thought you did that on Fridays?"

"I want to be with you after your surgery tomorrow," Zoe said, with a smile. "So I'm going out tonight."

"Oh." Now I really did feel like a dumbass. "Well have fun."

She gave me one last kiss. "Be safe this time."

I smirked at her. "Aren't I always?"

************************************************************************************************************

So what did you guys think about Bill's comments? About Mason's decision to go through with the surgery? What about Mason's new coach? Were you surprised that it was Maurice?

It's my first day of Thanksgiving Break! And I haven't done anything productive and it's beautiful.

Teaser: Mason's surgery!

Update: Friday