Chap. 4

My phone went off again, and I groaned before rolling over to answer it.

“Hello?” I asked, groggily.

“Are you awake?” Carson asked.

“I am now,” I said, with a sigh. I sat up and looked at my digital clock. It was 2:13 AM.

“I really need to talk to you.”

“What’s up?” I flipped on a lamp, grabbing Sheila off my bedside table.

“So I had my tryout with Michigan State.”

“That’s awesome,” I said, plugging my information into Sheila.

“Yeah, not really. I don’t want to go there.”

“Well what a wasted trip.”

“Yeah, tell me about it. So now I have to make a decision on this stupid college thing.”

“Well yeah, that’s usually how it works,” I said, as Sheila beeped in at 73.

I guess it’s a good thing Carson woke me up.

“But I have no idea.”

“And you have to decide at 2:15 AM?” I asked, getting out of bed and grabbing an orange juice out of my mini-refrigerator.

“I can’t sleep,” he groaned. “I keep running over all the pros and cons to each school, and I just don’t know.”

“Well none of your schools are in-state,” I said, taking a swig of orange juice, “so that’s not a pro.”

“Yeah, but-”

“I really don’t want to hear your pros and cons list,” I said, climbing back into bed.

“What do I do?” he moaned.

“If it’s keeping you up at night, it’s obviously time to make a decision,” I said, taking another swig of orange juice. “So you need to at least rule out one school.”

“But which one?”

“Jesus Christ Carson, I don’t know.” I placed the orange juice down. “Why don’t you write out the pros and cons lists, and the one with the least pros gets cut?”

“I already did that,” he admitted.

“And?”

“UF was cut.”

“Well there you go.”