Chap. 36

“I’ll be right there,” I promised, hanging up the phone.

I pulled on a t-shirt and jeans, hurrying out the door.

My mom’s frantic voice filtered through my mind as I waved down a taxi and gave him the address to the hotel.

“Olympics huh?” the taxi driver asked.

I looked down to see I’d pulled on another Olympic t-shirt. I’d been trying to avoid wearing these around London. People stopped me, always wanted to talk to me, because of this shirt.

“Yes sir,” I said.

“What event?”

“Hurdles.”

“Are you competing tonight?”

“Yes sir.”

“And what’s your name?”

“Mason Walker.”

“Well Mason Walker, this is the first time I’ve ever had an Olympic athlete in my taxi.”

I let out a small laugh. “Well, I’m honored to be your first.”

He spent the rest of the ride talking, and I tuned him out.

We pulled up to the hotel, and I handed him the cash, telling him to keep the change.

I bounded into the hotel and up to Carson’s room, skipping my mom.

I pounded on his door, knowing that he’d be in there.

And sure enough, the door opened to reveal an extremely pissed off Carson.

“What the fuck are you doing here?” he asked.

“Hello to you too!” I said, cheerfully. I pushed the door open and let myself inside, shutting the door behind me.

He walked away from me, taking a seat at his table and picking up a book and a pencil.

“And how are you?” I asked, straddling a chair.

“Just fantastic,” he muttered, staring at the book. “10 letter word for an oddly shaped museum in New York?”

“Guggenheim,” I answered, resting my chin on the top of the chair. “Are you doing a crossword?”

“I’ve been doing crosswords,” he corrected.

“Okay?”

“I’m bored out of my fucking mind,” he informed me, looking up from his crossword. “That sort of thing happens when you’re on hotel room arrest.”

“And you decided to do crosswords?”

“The book came free with the hotel room,” he said, writing down an answer. “Lucky me.”

“So mom and dad still have you locked up?” I asked.

He rolled his eyes. “10 letter word for giving up your powers?”

“Relinquish,” I answered.

“Yeah, they still have me locked up,” he said, tapping his pencil on the table. “And seeing as though the only time I’ve been allowed out Ethan and Cody almost killed me, I don’t see them letting up anytime soon.”

“I heard about that,” I agreed.

“Well I supposed that’s why you’re here,” he said, jotting down another answer. “To tell me that I’m a lunatic and talk some sense into me?”

I rolled my eyes. “There’s that sense of humor.”

“4 letter word for swanky?” Carson asked.