Chap. 14

Coach jogged over to the finish line, his stopwatch in hand. We knew the magic number, the number that would convince Bill I had what it took to be an Olympic athlete. All I had to do now was achieve that number.

When I was at my best, the number was no problem. But with my lack of training this week, and my injured shoulder, the number was more like a dream, a hope.

I heard the whistle, and I took off, my eye on the first hurdle. As I was jumping, I was already set on the second hurdle. I flew through the hurdles without a hitch, my Adrenaline pumping. I shot across the finish line, slowing to a jog and then to a stop.

I took a couple of deep breaths, going to put my hands on top of my head. My left shoulder screamed in pain, and reality set in. My shoulder was so sore I could barely move it, and right now it was radiating pain all throughout my arm.

I gritted my teeth and put a fake smile on my face. This Olympic Scout was waiting for me, and I’ll be damned if I give him a reason to deny me.

Coach Daniels was already talking to Bill, discussing my time. I don’t know what it was, all I could do was hope.

After what seemed like hours, but in reality was probably only a few minutes, Coach Daniels and Bill shook hands, and Bill left.

My team was still cheering, standing on their feet. I looked up at Trent, who flashed me a thumbs-up. I wasn’t sure how to interpret that.

“Well?” I asked, as Coach Daniels walked over to me.

“He’s going to go home, review the footage, review his notes, and call me tomorrow.”

“Is that a good sign?”

“It means you’re young and you’re not number one on his list, but he was thoroughly impressed.”

I nodded. “Great, so now I don’t sleep tonight.”

He chuckled. “Go back to Kelly. You’re looking pretty rough.”

I grabbed my track bag and changed out in the locker room. My entire team came in, talking and laughing.

“That was boss!” Trent said, slapping me on the back.

“Are you sure?”

“Am I sure? Dude we just saw you fly through those things like they were nothing!”

“Do you know my time?”

Everyone turned to glare at Garrett, who rubbed the back of his neck. “Well, you see, what had happened was…” He trailed off and offered me a half-smile.

“He forgot to start the timer,” Trent said, rolling his eyes. “But I know your times, and you were flying. Trust me.”

I stuffed my belongings into my track bag. “Well, I’m headed off to Kelly’s place.”

“We’ll bring pizza to your place,” DeAndre said.

“Sounds great, run it by Trevor.”

“Trevor can kiss my ass,” Trent called, jogging out of the locker room, followed by the rest of the team.

I chuckled and went up to Kelly’s office.

“So?” she asked, excitedly. “How’d it go? I wanted to be there, but I had to deal with idiot, unicorn, baseball boy.”

I chuckled. “Concussion?”

“Nope, but he’s going to hurt like hell for the next few days. So, how’d it go?”

“It went.”

She slapped my arm. “I’m serious! What did he say?”

“He told Coach Daniels that he’ll call him tomorrow. Bill went home to review his notes and the footage.”