Chap. 11

“I can’t believe I’m doing this,” Kelly said, raising her eyebrows at me. “This goes against everything I stand for.”

“But you love me.”

“Definitely not.”

I smiled and handed her the Biofreeze. I slowly peeled off my shirt, wincing as I moved my left shoulder.

“I don’t feel comfortable with you doing this.”

“Understood.”

She unwrapped my shoulder and applied Biofreeze to it. “Meet me in my office after practice.”

“Not a problem.”

“If you don’t show up, I’m pulling you out for the season.”

“Jesus Christ, I’ll be there.”

She shoved the Biofreeze into my chest. “You best be.” She rewrapped my shoulder, muttering to herself.

“Hey Kelly,” Coach Daniels said, as he came jogging out. “He cleared?”

“Unfortunately,” she said, handing me my shirt. “But when that Biofreeze wears off, he’s out.”

I rolled my eyes.

“Well I’m not going to hurdle him,” Coach Daniels said to Kelly.

“I was just about to say the same thing.”

“Wait, what?” I asked, looking between the two of them. “You can’t be serious.”

“I’m not taking that kind of risk with the Olympic Scout coming on Thursday.”

“I have to hurdle. The Olympic Scout is coming on Thursday!” I argued.

“You go by my rules,” Kelly said, raising her eyebrows at me. “Therefore, you don’t hurdle or you’re out.”

I growled at her.

Coach Daniels chuckled. “Alright, go ahead and take two laps.”

“Two?” I asked.

“Yes, two.”

That was half of what we usually did for warm-up. It practically made me sick to my stomach knowing that I had to take the easy road, something I don’t deal well with.

“Now,” Coach said, raising his eyebrows at me.

I knew as soon as I was out of earshot, they were going to talk about me. Discuss my eligibility to tryout on Thursday.

I sighed and started jogging, my heart sinking further and further with each step. I hated every second of my run, which doesn’t happen often for me.

“You look like you just ate shit,” Trent commented, as I finished my half-mile.

“I hate this,” I muttered. “I feel like a charity case.”

“You can’t just jump right back into it. You dislocated your shoulder man.”

“Enough talking Trent,” Coach Daniels said, with a snap. “Let’s go.”

I made my way over to Coach Daniels. “So what would you like me to do now?”

“How’re you feeling?”

“Fantastic.”

He raised his eyebrows at me. “Well you can start by losing the attitude, got it?”

“It wasn’t attitude. I feel fantastic.”

He rolled his eyes. “I’m not letting you do hurdles.”