The Doc's Findings

A scant few minutes later...

"To treat the wound I'll have to completely anesthetize her first, and this is where I'll need your help." Dr. Tse advised as she unlocked a drawer.

The now gowned doctor looked every bit the surgeon as she pulled out a smaller tray and then quickly prepared a hypodermic needle.

"What do you need me to do?" feeling a bit taken aback upon seeing that syringe apparatus.

"I want you to hold her very tightly so I can inject her with this." holding the readied syringe while looking me in the eye, "She's going to feel it go in and she'll react in some way so I'll be as quick as I can to mitigate the pain... fortunately this stuff goes to work almost immediately."

"I hope so." I muttered and glanced at the motionless miniature patient.

"First and from behind her, you must firmly cradle her head between your thumb and forefinger like this and then using your other hand hold her under her arms from behind so that she can't jerk loose and unexpectedly bite either one of us." the veterinarian instructed in detail.

Again looked me in the eye to gauge my reaction to what I was seeing and hearing and then challenged, "Do you think you can do this?"

"I think so." answering distractedly while trying to take in everything she'd just detailed.

In spite of fully understanding in my head the doctor's planned modus operandi, now seeing the readied surgical apparatus that was about to be utilized had much more of an emotional impact concerning what was going to unfold.

"I need a more definite answer." she insisted and then clearly warned, "Because if you go down on that floor I'll be leaving you there."

"Yes. I can do it!" I confirmed.

"Good! Let's get started." now exuding confident readiness.

"Okay." feeling as ready as I was ever going to be.

"Pick her up and just as I've explained earlier, hold her out in front of me. I'll take care of the rest. But don't let her go!" Dr. Tse directed tersely but seemingly comfortably sure.

As  soon as I had the feebly struggling tiny thing dangling in the air, the  doctor's experienced hands quickly grabbed her and plunged the readied hypodermic needle into her underside near that round wound

As soon as I had the feebly struggling tiny thing dangling in the air, the doctor's experienced hands quickly grabbed her and plunged the readied hypodermic needle into her underside near that round wound. As expected there was a very short-lived struggle but the anesthetic did its work almost instantly. The hapless creature went limp, the doctor took her from me, placed her on the tray and then carried her over to the operating table.

Immediately Dr. Tse lowered the pair of medical magnifying glasses she'd donned moments earlier, selected one of those metal picks that resembled a dental tool, and then slowly and gently forced open the creature's mouth, lifting her lip and upper gum to examine inside her maw prior to inserting the breathing apparatus.