The Subject Is Not Understood

Three days had passed since my small visitor speedily slipped away and slip away is exactly what she had done; she slid right into the walls and vanished. Since then I hadn't seen or heard her, but on a positive note I hadn't seen or heard that mouse either.

Farm life did provide me with unfailingly certain albeit irregular confrontations against that most mercurial and least predictable of adversaries; the weather. Although for differing reasons, that small cold-blooded entity was also subject to the whims of the same adversary, especially these colder late autumn temperatures and those heavy frosts some mornings; therefore I was positive she was quietly hiding out somewhere inside my home.

No longer unnecessarily distracted by wondering about Tiny's fate or suspicious of Nexivena involvement, I quickly finished this season's remaining harvesting; my produce was safely stored away for winter.

For home heating I relied primarily on propane but the wood-burning stove in the kitchen saw regular use too. Seeing that almost empty firewood shelter every time I went outside in the back served as a constant reminder that more firewood was required; either do the felling, cutting and splitting of some trees myself or buy the cord-fuel elsewhere; I'd see how the next few days went before deciding.

 Seeing that almost empty firewood  shelter every time I went outside in the back served as a constant  reminder that more firewood was required; either do the felling, cutting  and splitting of some trees myself or buy the cord-fuel elsewhere; I'...

Anyway, that evening I was in my office (that room off the kitchen) and seated in front of my computer, totally engrossed in crunching numbers from financial reports of the companies I was researching on line. While I was no longer employed in that high-flying financial world I had been unjustly evicted from, I had acquired skills that I put to use in astutely managing my own personal finances.

The startling snap of a mouse trap interrupted the silence and immediately snagged my attention. Certain the sound had originated from the trap I had laid in the front entrance hall foyer I went to check, expecting to find a freshly killed rodent. Nothing.

Now suspicious that the wily creature had returned and was determined to  set-off all my mouse traps again, I turned toward the living room to check on the one in there. Another telltale snap cracked before I had a chance to peer around the corner; I stealthily peeked anyway. Sure enough that miniature mischief-maker was there and struggling to extract a pencil pinned in the sprung trap; now I knew how she had been doing that, but aside from guessing I really didn't know why.

Tiny must have known I was spying because she stopped her activity just long enough to glance at me, give me a quick, 'Oh... it's just you' look, resumed her pulling and then freed the pencil.

I stepped into full view and acknowledged, "You're back."

Holding the pencil like a long pointed staff, she silently stared at me. I was curious to know where in my house she had obtained that pencil.

"Okay. I get your message... you've made it clear you don't like the traps." I finally conceded and then offered, "I'll remove them all."

As soon as those words were out I realized that she probably had no idea what the word trap meant let alone what I was talking about.