Spring

Last autumn when Serpentina slipped into my home to winter-over and after she chose to reveal her presence, neither of us had any idea of what to expect from each other, and maybe from ourselves too as we learned to live with the other. Perhaps that mutual absence of expectations helped us in avoiding some of those often inevitable disappointments which follow when having to lower expectations upon discovering more intimate but irritating details about each other; but not entirely, because occasional friction between us definitely did occur and at times rather heated too.

During the winter months I'd begun to notice that Tina could at will instantly back and forth change between being a warm, friendly and affectionate person and an absolutely devoid-of-feeling cold creature no different from any snake. At first I thought my impressions were merely imaginings, but some occasional, compelling observations from our everyday life together were more than once telling me differently.

I'm convinced she truly possesses an unsettling ability to turn her emotions completely on or completely off, and it's not that she just happens to suppress and hide her feelings because she doesn't do that; her emotional voids are a far different trait. They're periods of complete detachment of one from the other, especially when food is concerned. Without warning she can morph into a totally unfeeling relentless and ruthless rodent terminator. I know because I've watched her at work.

Although I'm not at all afraid of Serpentina, I shall admit that I'm still constantly wary of startling or frightening her because she does possess that pair of dangerous fangs capable of delivering a venomous and possibly lethal bite, something I've always thought deserves a healthy respect. Small wonder, twice during the winter I witnessed firsthand what the little rodent terminator's venom does to her running fast food; not pretty but works effectively to practically stop dinner in its tracks.

Anyway, I've already hypothesized  that the dissimilar dominant and recessive characteristics of her  incongruent DNA origins are likely at play as she develops and grows; these  unusual behavioral manifestations are probably perfectly normal for her

Anyway, I've already hypothesized that the dissimilar dominant and recessive characteristics of her incongruent DNA origins are likely at play as she develops and grows; these unusual behavioral manifestations are probably perfectly normal for her. We've also candidly discussed these issues a few times and she fully understands my thoughts and concerns, because neither of us wants an accident.

Those eagerly awaited milder temperatures of spring had finally arrived and were quickly being followed by that welcomed melt-off which soon saw frost in its last throes of seasonal eviction from the ground. Soon after spring equinox Tina became noticeably more energetic, and occasionally accompanying her increasing physical activities were surprising displays of a maturing confidence in herself and abilities.

One April evening, following an afternoon that saw me occupied with some periods of strenuous physical work in garden preparations, I was resting in the office seated in front of the computer and struggling to stay awake. I was about to log-off for the evening when Tina appeared from wherever she'd been hiding out and joined me, climbing and then settling on my shoulders by looping herself around behind my neck as she often likes to do. That evening she seemed heavier than usual but I simply ascribed my impression to weariness and sore muscles.

A few evenings later when she slid into the office to sweet-talk me off the computer, I noticed that when she circled her way up my leg, her unusual constricting, winding and climbing method seemed noticeably firmer.