Unexpected Developments

Satisfied the Nexivena gang had truly disappeared following their departure, I returned to my house, wondering with each step I took if thoughtlessly leaving Tiny alone on the kitchen table had exposed her to unwanted discovery and possible theft... or kidnapping... or... I wasn't sure what word fit. Regardless, this unexpected encounter jarred me awake; I couldn't simply keep her in the kitchen and on the table all the time, especially while I was out of the house.

My concerns were allayed as soon as I entered because she was still tightly coiled around that stick, appearing like she'd never moved. Maybe she hadn't.

Still  feeling unsettled and cynically wary nonetheless, I went upstairs,  grabbed the pair of binoculars that I kept handy near one of the back  windows and then studiously scanned what I could see of my property and  fences

Still feeling unsettled and cynically wary nonetheless, I went upstairs, grabbed the pair of binoculars that I kept handy near one of the back windows and then studiously scanned what I could see of my property and fences.

All seemed normal. I even spotted that timid old red fox I'd occasionally glimpse foraging near the brush, and this sighting alone was enough to alleviate my suspicions about other possible Nexivena trespassers. Feeling more at ease, I returned the binoculars and went back down to the kitchen to see Tiny.

"Those guys out there were from Nexivena." I announced without a preamble, wondering if bluntly dumping the news on her could spark a response.

Nothing, not even a glance my way, but I was sure she was aware I was back inside the house and here in the kitchen.

"That smooth-talking Bob Jones character claimed they were simply taking plant growth measurements and soil samples..." I detailed further as I scrutinized her face for any sign of a reaction upon mention of that name.

Nothing. I pulled out the usual chair and sat facing her.

"Does that name Jones mean anything to you?" I repeated to be specific.

Again, no reaction at all. Tiny simply stared in my direction, but like she was focusing on something behind me. Curious about what was attracting her attention I turned around for a quick glance. I had no idea what she was staring at because nothing was out of place.

"Anyway... I don't believe a word he said... but if you ask me, I think they were fishing for something." I continued.

Studying her small but expressionless pretty face, I couldn't read her at all. She remained silent but rapidly flicked her tongue in and out several times in that snake-like manner that looked so very different coming from a human-looking face.

"I don't suppose you know anything about Nexivena..." prodding again as I continued staring at her, "Right?"

Silence.

"I didn't think so... but I thought I'd ask anyway." wishing she'd reply and provide some input.

"But supposing you did know... and I'm only saying supposing... then what's your connection with Nexivena?" gesturing at her with my hands but not really expecting her to suddenly chime in.