Tina and Water

Water is the essence of all life on earth. Whether mammalian or reptilian, the physical composition for creatures in both groups comprises mostly water and neither can survive indefinitely without it. Obviously, this indispensable elemental compound is common to both Serpentina and me so perhaps it's fitting the topic of water and the roles it plays in her life be presented first.

If perchance you've been reckless enough to ignore the 'No Trespassing' warning signs I've posted along the barbed-wire fences and you stumble upon a scene like this... then don't go in the water.

Stay out of the water!

Believe me, the person you see here is not the proverbial beautiful damsel in distress needing rescue from what appears to be a giant serpent behind her; she's merely looking back at herself.

Anyone reading these pages will already know that Serpentina was a lab specimen subjected to research abuses

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Anyone reading these pages will already know that Serpentina was a lab specimen subjected to research abuses. Scheduled for imminent euthanization she somehow escaped, but her desperate flight and fight for survival while free was countered by undue hardship from her complete lack of knowledge of the world outside the laboratory, relentless tracking by mercenary hunters, and then shot by a pellet, bullet if you will, until she appeared in my garden.

Indubitably, all of Tina's pre-arrival experiences involving people can be summed up as far less than acceptable, therefore aside from me and occasionally Dr. Tse, this beautiful creature's interaction with other people has been purposefully non-existent since. Almost everything she knows about the world beyond our fences she's learned entirely online, and she's constantly learning.

I'm briefly recounting these details because Tina's a reptile wired for survival and I know very well what she's capable of doing if she's ever confronted by a stranger. We've openly discussed how best to handle this always possible menacing scenario more than once, but honestly, I don't know with any degree of certainty how she might actually respond if confronted by an intruder.

She's definitely not a creature you'd want to mess with in the water... or anywhere else for that matter.

Aside from rare exceptions, Tina doesn't wear clothing when she's in water, not even a skimpy top. The two reasons are simple. First, garments impede her ability to move around in and under water when she's on prowl for food, which seems to be much of the time after she slides into the pond. Second, garments seriously impede her swallowing because they don't expand along with her. (Tina just slid into the office and is now reading over my shoulders and insisting that I've exaggerated her food-prowling frequency a little too much.)

After some coaxing from me, she consented to don her lace wrap shirt long enough for me to capture this bucolic scene of her. Seconds afterward she stripped off the wet garment, tossed it to me to hang for her and then disappeared into the murky water. Tina claims I scare away food when I hang around, so submerging is her subtle way of telling me to get lost for a while.