Where To From Here?

As daylight waned I wound down my outside work for today, finishing up by filling the wheelbarrow with one more load of potatoes to move to the cellar. Tired, yes, but I was now feeling confident that the last of the harvesting would be finished before the weekend if the dry weather held.

Prior to attacking that waiting final heavy load of the day, using a foot I shoved the four-pronged digging fork into the ground and paused a few minutes to rest. Weary, I stared at that particular edge of the garden where I'd first spotted that unusual little creature a few months ago and wished I could see her once more before winter's arrival; for no other reason than to know that she'd survived her release back into the wild.

Harvested sections of my garden were bare and the surrounding wild shrubbery devoid of leaves. I knew that sighting her again was highly unlikely because suitable groundcover she relied upon for adequate concealment was now much scarcer. Exposing herself out here now would only make her too easy a target for one of those airborne winged predators often seen circling high above in search of their next meal.

Feeling as ready as I would be, I yanked the digging fork free and laid it on the ground where I had stopped my potato gathering; this aging tool would be waiting here for me tomorrow morning. All these old, well-worn gardening implements came with the farm. I suppose that having them handy at the outset of my unplanned appearance here several years ago was the primary reason why I hadn't already modernized a little to make life easier.

Nonetheless, then and there I decided that prior to next year's growing season I would definitely purchase a John Deer lawn tractor and accessories.

Stepping into the darkened kitchen about half an hour later and after routinely flipping on the lights, almost immediately I discovered a repeat performance in the key of shock that confronted me.

"#⁂₪※! How could this happen?" I swore aloud in a strange mix of anger and puzzlement.

Small packets of rodent poison were laid out in the center of my kitchen  floor in exactly the same manner as the dead mice had been arranged  only hours earlier

Small packets of rodent poison were laid out in the center of my kitchen floor in exactly the same manner as the dead mice had been arranged only hours earlier.

Immediately I checked the mouse traps I'd re-set in the other rooms a few hours ago; again the traps had all been triggered but leaving the bait untouched.

"Those Nexivena people really mean business." was the first thought that jumped to mind as I stepped back into the kitchen, now feeling intimidated by how easily the intruder had stealthily entered and exited my home.

Angry and determined to formulate a viable counter-attack, I stepped back into to my former winner-take-all role, dusted off that proverbial playbook and consciously forced myself to gather my wits first and think clearly, only to discover I was out of practice.

I then realized, "They don't seem to know I don't have her anymore."

"Why not?" questioning out loud in an attempt to play devil's advocate to challenge my reasoning.