Another Page from Serpentina's Album

Sitting around the fence...

Below, and as that top left pastoral mid-summer image suggests, one could very easily mistake Serpentina for a young and very pretty teenage farm girl, and considering that she actually lives on a farm such an assumption wouldn't be entirely wrong.

The full image on the right however, reveals that Tina is anything but an ordinary farm girl.

During  her third summer with me (when these scenes were recorded) and because of the record-setting hot weather, Tina's appetite became voracious and in her relentless quest for protein she practically  exterminated the groundhogs, rabbits, racco...

During her third summer with me (when these scenes were recorded) and because of the record-setting hot weather, Tina's appetite became voracious and in her relentless quest for protein she practically exterminated the groundhogs, rabbits, raccoons and wild turkeys from our acreage. Anything crossing onto this side of our fences risked staying for dinner... of course as her dinner. She even snagged and devoured that old fox I used to occasionally sight.

For one obvious reason, I pleaded with her to leave skunks alone, which she did without argument. She later confided that skunks are immune to her venom but she's not immune to their spray. I'm glad we never found out this latter detail the hard way.

Serpentina's most remarkable growth spurt occurred between that May 1st and August 31st; adding 25 inches to her length. No surprise of course but her corresponding weight increase was only 20 pounds. By mid-autumn she weighed 120 pounds and her length had surpassed 13 feet, having rapidly transformed into an astonishingly beautiful lithe creature.

On that particular hot summer afternoon Tina wasn't playing on that fence out back and posing pretty for the camera. She'd coiled herself around a fence post and the top rail to gain height for a better overview of the hay field. Her active tongue told me that the trespassing groundhog (lower left frame) was already the object of her full attention.

Seconds after I recorded these scenes, Tina yanked off her clothing and that stuff on her wrists, slipped to the ground and immediately vanished into the tall grasses in pursuit of that large garden-destroying rodent. Within ten minutes and now on the far side of the field near the trees, she reappeared long enough to wave to me and then vanished again.

Tina had snagged her snack. I smiled contentedly knowing she was happy and the rodent was history. She'd probably drag her catch into the shade of that secluded grove to escape the hot early afternoon sun and then leisurely devour her meal undisturbed.

I gathered-up her discarded items and returned home to escape the heat for a while. In a few hours Tina would reappear but looking a tad less thin.