Surprises in the Cellar

When Serpentina sensed those seemingly impossible to perceive tremors my foot made the instant I placed it upon the base of the stairway behind her, she about faced, lifted about six feet of herself erect and waited. I ascended but stopped on the step below the half landing and stared at her, because her bunched-up, slowly shifting tube-like lengthy anatomy now occupied just about all the floor space where the stairway made that quirky right turn two steps from the top floor.

She didn't usually stand high, sway like that and stare at me unless she demanded my full attention or wanted something, but she remained silent. Nonetheless, she was blocking the way but probably had no idea she'd become an obstacle, so I judiciously waited for her to move on her own.

These past two days Tina had become very touchy and withdrawn, but she hadn't abruptly disappeared into her room which she was prone to do. Inadvertently irritating her didn't take much; the wrong word spoken or even a misunderstood gesture used was enough to trigger trouble. Although her scaled skin hadn't dulled much and didn't show any flaking, I simply attributed her increasing sensitivity and moodiness to the usual presaging of another molt.

While returning her inscrutable hypnotic gaze I was momentarily taken aback, because her stance  on that particular spot next to the stairway's closed-in walls seemed to  amplify the sheer size of her

While returning her inscrutable hypnotic gaze I was momentarily taken aback, because her stance on that particular spot next to the stairway's closed-in walls seemed to amplify the sheer size of her.

A spur of the moment induced flashback reminded me almost five years had passed since that remarkable day she first appeared, and back then I don't think either of us ever entertained thoughts that she could possibly grow from a tiny, barely alive, two-foot hose-like ragamuffin and transform into this astonishingly beautiful thriving two hundred plus pounds creature now almost eighteen feet long.

Snapping out of my mini-daze, I finally prodded, "Are you going to make me wait here all day?"

"Cog..." seemingly distracted and now motionless, "Will you still love me tomorrow?"

"Why wouldn't I?" wondering what on earth was going on inside her head to prompt that arbitrary question.

"It's the name of a song I read."

Tina was into reading song lyrics, selective to her interests of course, but she really disliked music. As far as she was concerned, all music was nothing more than unnecessary sounds that produced distracting meaningless vibrations.

"Oh..." realizing I'd misunderstood her, "I thought you were asking me a question."

"Would you be happier if I had?" obviously chafed.

"Tina..."

"Cog," interrupting with a heavy sigh, "I wish you'd be more understanding."

Although no less clueless, I knowingly wandered into that minefield to ask, "Understanding about what?"

"You wouldn't understand."

"Why wouldn't I?" hoping this might be a safe next step.

"Because if you did, you'd already know." and rather than moving off the half landing she slowly sagged to the floor, settling on elbows upon her slowly shifting scaled body.