5

The school was Mrs Hobkins' class expanded, there was nothing but a silence all around me that was interrupted only by my hurried footsteps that echoed across the hall.

I was trying to breathe, trying to think clearly, I was trying to do anything to get me thinking straight again but nothing was working. My mind was still back in that classroom with psycho-cannibal, Mrs Hobkins.

What just happened in there? One second she was fine, then she was coughing, then she was dead and then she – well, she wasn't.

I was so confused and scared and the noise was pounding so loudly in my head that it almost hurt but I kept running through the twisting corridors that took me closer to the library.

My initial adrenaline rush was beginning to fade and I was beginning to feel the ache in my back where my body had fallen and my ass where the table had hit it. I was breathing heavily and I came to a stop. I leaned against the door of an empty classroom and I could feel myself beginning to hyperventilate. I wasn't tired, I was freaked out.

I brought my hand to my face and I then felt something sticky. I pulled my hand back to reveal the red blood of Mrs Hobkins that had rubbed off of her cheek and onto my face our heads had connected.

I didn't scream, even though I wanted to. I didn't vomit, even though I wanted to. I didn't cry, even though I desperately wanted to. I just breathed in, and I then breathed out.

Everything was spinning too fast around me, I needed to take a moment and breathe. I ran to the first bathroom I saw. Once there, I began washing off all the disgusting blood off of me until my face was clean and I could look at it without wanting to throw up. I slid to the floor sat down with my back pressed against the wall beneath the sink and I stayed like that for God knows how long. I sat there and I tried to piece together a logical explanation that would explain what had just happened. But logic was never my strongest suit.

That would lie in the wonders of magic and fiction.

So obviously – so, so obviously – I was arriving on the craziest conclusion ever.

Zombies.

Yep, flesh eating, brain craving zombies.

Clearly, I had lost my mind. But it was the only thing that made sense in my impossible dream world. Because think about it. Really think about it.

I remembered the previous night my mom watching on the news something about some virus outbreak but I never paid attention to the news and my mother didn't seem too concerned by it.

The entire day, everybody had been coughing and sneezing and being generally sick.

Plus, MRS HOBKINS WAS DEAD. I think those would qualify as zombie indicators.

But still . . . only people as weird as me would believe me and even then there's a slim chance of that happening. That's why I had to find Mfundo and Amelia. The only two that could possibly believe me. They were at the library. So, that was where I had to go. And hopefully they could knock some sense into me. I stood up and took one final, deep breath. I allowed my noise to settle till it wasn't so noisy anymore and then I ran.