27

To say Amelia was furious was a complete understatement.

  They say that Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Well, turned out that Hell also hath no words to describe said scorned woman.

  I was busy running back to Mfundo with Sierra racing along with me, a bag that I could only assume had medical items in her hands. And also with us was Lucius and he was carrying an open bag of something dark and dirty. It smelled rancid and when I asked him what it was he said, "It is fertiliser. Amongst other things."

  I had a feeling I didn't want to know what the other things were. Anyways, the three of us arrived to the scene of Amelia throwing herself at a certain somebody, flinging curses, kicks and punches his way.

  I won't say who the certain somebody was, but his name started with a 'D' and ended with an 'aniel'.

  The only thing stopping Amelia from tearing her brother to pieces was Pierre, who grunted as he wrapped both arms around her. Despite her only being a teenage girl he still struggled to hold her back. Now, some might say that was because he was weak, but those some probably forgot he ran with Mfundo on his back.

  "Daniel!" Lucius called forward as he ran a little faster, although not too fast as the bag was really gigantic and pulled him back. Daniel looked to him but no smile broke out on his face like the one on Lucius's. He just looked back at Amelia, her face red as her mouth flew with foul language, and grit his teeth. He wasn't going to fight her. I didn't know if that was a good thing. He looked absolutely miserable.

  "I didn't want him to get hurt, Amelia." He softly said.

  "Well he did, Daniel!" She screeched. "HE did and it's ALL YOUR FAULT!"

  "Amelia." Sierra said as we arrived at the scene. I just stood back and watched as Amelia turned to her. "You are not being fair to your brother right now."

  "You're right." She hotly said. "YOU also share the blame! If you hadn't sent us on this bull-schist mission, then none of us would be here!"

  Interesting fact: Did you know that schist is actually a mineral found in the earth? It was also most definitely not the word Amelia said.

  Sierra's face tightened, but she moved to Mfundo and knelt down by his side. He weakly moved to her and tried to talk, but nothing came out.

  "Shh dear." Sierra said as she reached into her bag and began to pull out bandages and all sorts of other medicine-y stuff. "Don't talk. Save your energy."

  She looked at me and I felt my body stiffen, I had been so preoccupied by just staring at how exhausted and close-to-death-like Mfundo looked.

  "Help me, Theodore." She said and I felt myself moving before I decided to move.

  My noise was creating a fuzz around my head that seemed to block out everything that wasn't Mfundo-related. Everything else faded and I only realised that Sierra had told me to prop his head against my legs when I had sat down and his head was resting in my lap. His blood was warm. That was what I didn't really expect. It was like somebody had turned on the hot tap in Mfundo and had left it on for far too long. Now somebody else had to come and turn it off. But, until they did, it just came out. It was like – I don't know. Don't laugh at me, please don't laugh at me, but it was like his life-force.

  I could see Mfundo in the blood that stained my jeans. I could see him in the blood that Sierra washed away with a small bottle filled with water that had come from nowhere. It was dripping wet on the outside so I assume she had just dipped it into one of the buckets. I didn't know if river water was proper procedure, but I didn't really care. Oh, hey, look, Amelia was there too. She was kneeling next to Mfundo, her hands holding his right hand. Her eyes had swelled up to ten times their size, if only to accommodate the tears that filled them but didn't fall. She didn't blink, not once, and I could see she had quite a bit of Mfundo on her own shirt and arms and hands. I would like to tell you that I was paying attention to what Sierra did. But, I didn't. Not really. I was just so preoccupied in noticing the Mfundo everywhere. There was a lot on the ground. On Pierre's front and back. There was even some on Daniel's pants. We all shared some Mfundo.