10

Ok, let me just make a tally of all the bad decisions I had made so far, that day:

   1. I only told my mom about my punishment in the morning.

   2. I didn't do anything to help Mrs Hobkins.

   3. I wasn't quiet in the library. (Shut up, that's a bad decision for me.)

   4. Teaming up with Eric. That really wasn't a good idea. 

   5. Kil – stopping Mrs Hobkins. I'm not saying it's a bad thing we stopped her from eating us but that sight . . .

   6. And now, we've just walked up the apartment building of the British man we're following, whom had recently technically just kidnapped us.

   Oh, why?

   We all went bounding into the building, first the British man, then Eric, then Mfundo, then Amelia and I – er, I mean me. Or is it 'I'? Whatever.

   The point is; we're all insane.

   Because we all ran into the apartment building through the front door, unarmed and with no clue what was happening. So we almost deserved the zombie that jumped at us.

   He had once been an old, fat man but now his clothes were torn and he had a huge gaping hole in his stomach. The flesh had been torn and ripped and the contents had obviously been torn out of him as I could see the shredded remnants of his guts were hanging out of the disgusting hole; wet, glistening sausages of intestines and – was that his liver bouncing around?

   Didn't matter, because whether that was or wasn't his liver it scared me nonetheless.

   I leapt back and screamed at the top of my voice as the man suddenly came barrelling towards us, almost out of nowhere, with his jaw hanging open and his blank eyes completely vacant except for an eerie hunger that rested in them. My friends and Eric instantly ran in opposite directions in order to escape. The British man had rolled to the side with his jacket fluttering all over. I just stared at the zombie as it hurtled its way towards us. For a moment Mrs Hobkins flashed into my mind, her body curled up in so many wrong places and I froze.

   I probably would have died if Eric hadn't grabbed me while Mfundo tackled it.

   Yeah.

   He did.

   Like, rugby tackle.

   I watched them go down and that seemed to spur me into action as I stood up and threw Eric off of me so that I could run towards Mfundo and the zombie. I could see out of the corner of my eye Amelia was searching desperately through the hall of the place, obviously searching for a weapon of some kind like a smart person.

   I just decided on being a complete idiot and I barrelled right into the mess of Mfundo and zombie. I thought I heard the vague sounds of the British man shouting at us to move but it was too late because I was grabbing onto the zombies hip as my body collapsed onto its back and I flipped over it, bringing it crashing on top of me. I had really underestimated the readiness of my body to engage in another fight because the pain I felt just from having that zombie fall on me was spectacular. My eyes bugged out as the zombie thrashed desperately above me in an attempt to grab at me. I tried to hold it down but its elbow cracked against my nose and all the fight I had in me (not that it was a lot) was lost.