19

"Theodore." Amelia's voice said into the darkness.

  I frowned. Why couldn't I see her? Hell, why couldn't I see anything? I moved my head from left to right but all I saw was shadows.

  "Amelia?" My voice echoed into the darkness.

  "Theodore." Said Mfundo.

  I moved my hand forward and felt something wet and warm. My breath seemed to constrict and felt around this object, trying to figure out what it was.

  "Theodore." Eric said.

  "Where are you?" I cried out.

  I brought my hand to my face and only then did I feel something sticky. Something disgusting. I felt around my mouth, felt this sticky substance all around it and I put my hand forward to feel the object in front of me. Then, as if someone had switched on the light switch in my head, I could suddenly see again. And I suddenly wished I couldn't. 

  I could see Amelia sitting against a wall, half her face eaten. She stared at me through her one good eye with a blank expression. Mfundo's legs had been eaten off and he was lying on his back. Blankly looking at me. Eric was hanging on a large hook in the ceiling with most of his chest missing and I could see the rest of his heart resting on his diaphragm. He too, looked at me. Arms shaking, I looked at my hands and all the blood that covered them. I pressed my finger on my mouth and when I pulled it back I saw a line of sticky blood trail from it. Then, I looked in front of me to see my father. His stomach was open and its contents were in the middle of being eaten.

  "Theodore?" He asked me with wide eyes that were too confused to be scared. All I could do was snarl, and I dove back into his stomach.

  ×    ×     ×

  I woke up crying, my arm wrapped around my own mouth in an attempt to stop me from screaming. I took in a deep breath and struggled to remain calm. My head was filled with noise, screaming and roaring. I swallowed my spit and got to my feet, getting up from the hard floor. I took in a deep breath and I walked to the kitchen, walking to the tap and pouring myself a glass of water.

  "Who's there?" I heard Amelia ask as she came walking into the kitchen with the shotgun in her hand. And I had to squint to see her in the light of the moon.

  "It's just me." I croaked, my voice somehow sounding a million times worse than usual. The anxious look she had on her face softened somewhat and I smiled.

  "Another nightmare?" She asked me and I nodded.  

  "How could you tell?" I asked her with a somewhat sarcastic tone in my voice.

  She pointed to my face and said, "Your tears are reflecting the light."

  I quickly wiped away the tears that were there and tried to smile. But when I looked at Amelia's face, I could only see half of it. Without thinking, I splashed the water against my face. I was hoping to get shocked by the coldness of the water, but it was lukewarm, so all I felt was wet.

  "Whoa. What was that?" Amelia asked, clearly more shocked than me.

  "Sorry." I mumbled. "I forgot that the geyser didn't work anymore."