30

Okay, I realise I still haven't explained how I ended up screaming with the whole legs dangling thing. So, I'll just skip the talking in the truck. Not much really happened. Pierre continued to talk about things that nobody really cared about and Jacob stayed silent as always. I tapped my foot against the floor anxiously and held my handgun tighter.

  A nine millimetre Beretta. I was actually quite happy that they had extra ammo for that gun. I had never used assault rifles like the ones Pierre and Jacob had, and even though they had Glocks with them I was more comfortable with the Beretta. It was my wall. My comfort. It was more familiar. I had that gun since (- Connor was devoured right before our very eyes.)

  I shuddered a little and took a deep breath. It was just the Outside, trying to mess with my head. Forget it, Theodore. Silence is where you gather – but I didn't want to do any gathering. I just wanted to forget. Forget it all. Forget everything. I couldn't do it. Pfft, like I ever did anything. I just ran around screaming while trying my hardest not to get killed.

  Trying to help my friends find their families, even though mine didn't come for me. Like they would. How the hell had I even survived so long?

  Luck.

  No, there had to be another reason. I refused to believe it was luck. My luck couldn't get me out of a detention with Mrs Hobkins, never mind actually keeping me safe for days. No, there was another reason.

  Eric.

  But – but it couldn't be him. I – I didn't want it to be him. So, it wasn't him. He was nothing but a jerk who was willing to do what I couldn't. He, who was willing to kill in order to save himself and, coincidentally, us.

  Pick one.

  Shut up.

  "So, here's the game plan." Pierre said.

  "What do you mean?" I asked.

  "I mean for when we arrive at the garage. Assuming there are gas canisters, this is how we get them without being noticed by the Zeds."

  "Yeah?" I waited for him to explain.

  "There's a bag of fertiliser in the back." He said. "When we jump off, we'll have to cover ourselves with it. From head to toe, as much as we can. I know it sounds disgusting, Theodore, but it's so that we don't smell like humans to the Zeds."

  "I know." I said. "And, it's okay. I once slept in a garbage truck and also slept in a car surrounded by a ring of dead bodies."

  I saw Jacob suddenly clench his hand and I frowned. "Hey, Jacob, you okay?"

  He shook his head, but didn't look back. He instead said, "It's unfair. This world. The things little children like you have been force to endure just to survive. I wish I knew how this whole thing started, and who started it so I can punch them in the face."

  I frowned. "I just, um, like, thought it was some freak of nature thing-y. I mean, not to sound offensive, but, I don't think humans are smart enough to pull something like this off."

  Pierre laughed and said, "Theodore, I just wish humans were too stupid to do this. Then maybe this wouldn't have happened."

  I frowned and looked down. "So – so you guys think somebody did this. Engineered this – this virus?"