8

Eric didn't seem in the mood to talk. Not that I blamed him. I had no idea why I had even opened my big fat stupid mouth. What I did have an idea on was that we were trapped up a tree with bloodthirsty zombies beneath us and no way of getting out of the situation alive. We had managed to find some branches to sit on but they weren't the most comfortable chairs in the world and already my ass was starting to hurt.

  "Oh my god. What are we going to do?" Amelia asked. Or shouted. I had no idea at that point.

  "Phones!" Eric yelled and looked at everybody with hope in his eyes."Maybe we could call somebody and get some help or something. So, who has theirphone? Amelia?"

  "Oh, no, I never bring myphone to school."

  Ericfrowned at that. "What? Why? If you have a phone, why wouldn't you want tobring it to school?"

  "Becausethese two," she pointed at Mfundo and me, "are too irresponsible and would mostlikely break it."

  "Oh,come on." Mfundo said. "We're not that irresponsible."

  "Uh huh." Ameliasaid with doubt in her voice. "And, Mfundo, tell me, how is your phone doing?"

  "Youmean you have it here?" Eric asked.

  Mfundo nodded, butgrimaced and reached down into his back pocket to pull out his phone, a Samsung."But the battery is dead."

  "Ofcourse the battery's dead." Eric exclaimed and threw his hands up into the air–before quickly grabbing onto the branches again when his balance teetered."Okay, and you?"

  He looked at me without much hope. "I bet you have left yourphone at home or the battery's dead!"

  "Iactually do have my phone." I said with some pride, because not only was Iproving Eric wrong, but I was finally going to get the chance to be the hero."Plus the battery is nearly full because I switched it off during the day andplayed games on Mfundo's phone." 

  "Great,"Eric smiled, "so where is it?" I patted down my pockets, expectingto find a bulge where my phone was. Surprised that it wasn't in my pants. Imoved on to my shirt pocket, but it definitely was not there.

  "Uhh." I said as Ipatted myself more desperately.

  "Theodore?"Amelia asked? "Where's your phone?"

  Iclosed my eyes, trying to remember where I last had my phone. Let's see, I putit in my pocket in the morning, took it out later in the day during Historywhere I played some games when the teacher was done talking. Then the bell rangand I had to quickly switch my phone off, so I just slid it into –

  "Mybag." I said with a pained whine. "I left my phone in my bag. Which iscurrently resting in Mrs Hobkins' class."

  I didn't think that Eric could getany angrier, but, "Ooh, if I wasn't holding onto this branch right now I wouldcome over there and kill you!"

  "Hey, this isn't Theodore's fault." Amelia said. "Hedidn't know any of this stuff was going to happen."

  "Doesn'tmake me any less mad at him!"

  "Okay,"she said, "so where's your phone?"

  "Idon't have one." He blandly said. Ameliaraised her eyebrows and looked at him. "Oh. I just assumed –"