28

Oh, damn. We were going to be in huge trouble. But, if it's any consolation, it was entirely Amelia's fault. Since Sierra seemed to be a hard no on me taking even a step into the Outside, we kind of left without her permission. Well, it was also Kiara's fault. She was guarding the front gate when we walked up to her, with our stolen weapons, and asked to go through. Ha, we had just stolen the stolen weapons.

  Well, anyways, she agreed, and we walked past the gate. If the zombies (flesh-eaters) didn't kill us, I was fairly certain Sierra would. Stepping into the Outside, I suddenly remembered the apparent aggression in the air that I had not missed in the past week we had spent in the hospital.

  I could feel my nerves immediately go on edge as every single bad experience that had happened there (Mrs Hobkins, Connor, random legless girl, Eric) suddenly came rushing back and the fear I had partially suppressed was now rising in my throat. We walked down the streets and, luckily, there were no flesh-eaters around. Luckily.

  It was only pure luck that three of you survived. Honestly, you should just leave them while you can. You're a burden they can't afford to have. You just can't do what Eric can.

  Oh, good to know that being on the Outside brought back that creeping voice of doubt. We walked slowly and in complete and utter silence, but I was shocked that no flesh-eater had even noticed the palpable tension in the air between the three of us. (Okay, I wasn't really that shocked. Before we had left we had stolen some of that freaky fertiliser and stuffed it into our pockets. The smell was horrible, but it worked.)

  It was clear that Daniel wanted to show Amelia something, but it was equally clear that Amelia was still doubtful about him. It didn't seem like she totally trusted him, it honestly just seemed that she was desperate to believe that he actually wanted to show her the truth but she also didn't. Not really. And me? I was just that awkward buffer between the two of them.

  I really had no idea why I was there when – luck – I wasn't really a part of the fight between them. But I guess I was. I did convince Amelia and Daniel to talk, twice, even after the first talk didn't end so well. Plus, Amelia was willing to go under Sierra's nose to have me out there with them. Since Daniel didn't seem ready to argue and I was the one she was defending so I couldn't argue, there I was.

  I crapped my pants and cursed my mind for suggesting coming with them. I suddenly realised we were heading to the river when I saw it literally right in front of us. There were some zombies there but they mostly left us alone and continued on their way.

  "Daniel, where are we going?" Amelia asked him.

  He was walking ahead of us, so we could only see his silent back. Amelia looked at me and I shrugged. I didn't really feel comfortable because a scenario was already playing out in my head: Daniel + River + My terrible luck = One extremely dead Theodore.

  I had no idea for how long we walked, but Daniel didn't stop once so neither did we. I didn't have a good feeling about the situation but I had signed myself up for it. So, no complaining. Unfortunately.

  "Hey, Amelia." Daniel suddenly called over his shoulder, keeping his voice low as a few zombies walked by. "Do you remember where mother and father wanted to retire?"