15

"Okay, what's the plan?" Eric asked, his voice sounded almost too normal after what just happened.

  I had no idea how much time had passed when Amelia, Mfundo and I had finally stopped crying, but I felt as if something inside of me had been, not removed, misplaced. Like, a scrambled up puzzle, where the toddler just jammed the pieces wherever it seemed easiest. I wanted to wipe the tears from my eyes, but I saw there was some funky juice on my hand. Disgusted, I wiped it on the edge of the garbage truck. Mfundo and Amelia were also starting to move, getting up and looking around.

   "Why aren't we dead?" I asked, my voice sounded hoarse and stretched. Even worse than usual.

  "What do you mean?" Amelia asked, and she sounded tired. I paused for a moment, just to listen out to see if I could hear it. Hear them eating.

  "I mean, they're still right underneath us, busy eat – why haven't they just come up here and eaten us already?"

  "Maybe they can't climb ladders." Mfundo suggested and he sounded - broken.

  "No, can't be." Amelia said. "Mrs Hobkins managed to grab onto a moving truck and pull herself onto it. So, that can't be it."

  "Well, what is it?" Eric asked.

  "I don't know. Maybe they're too busy down there to focus on us right now."

  "In that case, how long do you think it will be until they, um, finish?" I saw Mfundo look a little sick as he said that.

  "I don't know, Mfundo." Amelia threw up her hands. "I don't know anymore. We're completely trapped. Zombies are surrounding us on all sides, the truck is busted and none of us are in any condition to outrun zombies."

  "Flesh-eaters." Eric said.

  "Nobody cares, Eric." Mfundo snapped at Eric.

  I suddenly heard curious groans come from the horde beneath us. I put my finger on my lips and Mfundo nodded. Oh god, we were going to die. I mean, I know I'd been saying that for the entire day, but I finally knew that it was true. We were actually going to die. We were in a situation that was beyond impossible. To do anything, even raise our voices, was basically a guarantee for our deaths. Plus, we couldn't stay in that truck forever. I was so hungry that my stomach seemed like a black hole that didn't have any matter to absorb or consume or whatever the hell a black hole does.

  Eric peered over the edge to look at the zombies. "You know, if we time this right, we might just be able to sneak past the flesh-eaters without any of them noticing."

  "What're the odds of that?" Mfundo asked him.

  "Yeah," I said. "All it will take is one of them to look at us with its creepy, white eyes and we're screwed."

  Suddenly, Amelia's eyes widened and she gasped. "Their eyes!" She excitedly whispered.

  "Yeah, they do have eyes." I said, confused. "I mean, at least, most of them do. I think."

  "No, not that. Their eyes are grey and pale. There's no colour whatsoever to them."

  "And?" Eric asked.

  "They're blind! They can't see!"

  My own eyes widened and I looked at Amelia as the sparks of hope flutter in my chest.