29

A/N I just want to say Happy Mothers Day to all who are mothers. Duh. Hope you enjoy it. I know my mom did, because I most absolutely did not forget that today is Mothers Day and am now trying to not make up for that by mentioning today in my book. Nope. Not at all. I did not forget. (Sorry, mom.) Now, back to Theodore. Yay!

  I bet you're wondering, hey Theodore, why are you screaming inside a speeding truck with your legs dangling out the window?

  Well, in order to answer that question I will have to go to Mfundo's bedroom, a day before the whole truck incident, where I had just finished telling him what had happened between Amelia and Daniel.

  "And I was asleep through all of that?" He asked.

  I shrugged, could already see the disappointment growing on his face, and tried to cheer him up.

  "But, hey, you missed a lot of shouting from Sierra."

  "Really?" He asked, not sounding all that relieved.

  The truth was, Sierra didn't seem as pissed off as I had expected. In fact, she had even seemed impressed when Amelia told her how I punched a zombie. Oh, and by the way, my fist totally kills. I could still move it, but every move brought pain with it.

  "I just wish I could have helped you guys." He said and looked down.

  "Hey, you helped us by not getting yourself into another river. Let's just say that I feel your pain. Um, wait, no, I take that back."

  I smiled sheepishly and scratched the back of my head. Mfundo chuckled but I mentally chastised myself for that. Bad Theodore. You've done far too much talking today. Just don't speak out and don't react for now.

  "Where's Amelia?" He asked.

  I shrugged. "Talking to Daniel. Trying to sort out . . . all that." I waved my hands around for emphasis on 'all that'.

  There was a knock at the door and I started standing up, but Mfundo stopped me. "I'll get it. I need to do something on my own."

  He was smiling, but I knew Mfundo was angry at himself. He couldn't help it that was the type of person he was. He couldn't accept the fact that he couldn't comfort Amelia when she found out the truth or when she jumped into the water or when the flesh-eater attacked.

  He was the exact same when he injured himself playing wrestling and couldn't compete in some competition. He acted like he had failed the entire school and was so ashamed. I could only imagine how much worse it was for him. We still hadn't even heard a peep from his mom and Daniel accidentally hurt him, forcing him into his room while he recuperated.

  So, he was useless, Amelia was confused and I was lucky. Don't we make the perfect team? Mfundo opened the door to see Pierre standing there with a smile on his face. He smelled of cigarettes and I could only assume he had just finished one. So, if I was keeping count – not that I was – then he had two left.

  "Mfundo! Good to see you on your feet." He hugged Mfundo and looked at me. "And there's my favourite person, Theodore!"

  "Favourite?" I asked before he lifted me into the air with his arms wrapped around me.

  He seemed a little too enthusiastic that day, and I was wondering what was going on. Pierre was a bit eccentric, but he was even more excited than usual.