20

A/N: Quick warning, there is some mild swearing content ahead.

  Okay, I feel I should take a breath and just relax.

  "Oh my god, we're going to die!"

  That's it Theodore, find your centre and take it easy.

  "Shut the hell up, Theodore. We don't need you blabbing out the obvious."

  Deep breaths. Ah, I feel so calm.

  "Shut up, Eric. We need to find a place to hide."

  Okay, so, where was I?

  "Crap, crap, crap, crap!"

  Oh yeah, the four of us were currently running for our lives in search of somewhere to hide, the fear of a pack (is it a pack? I don't think it's a pack) of zombies chasing us only encouraged our legs to move faster. We ran away from the streets and only deeper down into the networks of paths behind the houses. Mfundo was in front and I was just behind, but only because he seemed to know where we were going. My gun felt heavy in my hands but I didn't let it go. I was panting now, we all were, and I had a stitch.

  "Br . . . break." I gasped and we all came to a stop. I immediately bent over, the stitch only worsening, and I drank the air around me in great gulps. "Oh god."

  "Is . . . everyone okay?" Amelia asked, she sat on her knees and slid the bag she was carrying off her back.

  "Stupid woman." Eric growled as he sat on the ground, breathing very heavily from his nose.

  Amelia raised her eyebrow in anger and stared him down. "Excuse me?"

  Looking annoyed, he waved her off. "No, not you. That stupid lady who broke our damn window. What the hell was she thinking?"

  "She was scared." Mfundo said. "She was only acting out of fear."

  "Screw that! Even if I was scared, I wouldn't deliberately break the window of somebody's hideout to get in. I'm not like that little bi-"

  "Eric. Keep your frigging voice down." Amelia said. "We don't want to attract more attention than we already have."

  "What are we going to do now?" Mfundo asked. "That garbage truck was supposed to be our salvation. Without it, we're doomed."

  "Well, we have to hide somewhere. Maybe in one of these houses."

  "How are we going to get in?" I asked. "The walls are far too tall for us to jump over."

  "Well, we'll just – argh!" Amelia suddenly yelled as a zombie noticed us and came running towards us.

  Only clumps of skin remained on its arms and one of its eyes were missing. I was about to shoot it when Eric suddenly grabbed the gun and pulled it away from me, getting to his feet as he shot at the zombie four times before it fell to the ground, a huge part of its head blown off. My voice nearly went beyond the human hearing range when I cried out, "What the hell?"

  "Oh, like you were going to kill it." He said.

  Well, yeah, but I probably wouldn't have wasted so many bullets.

  "Okay, we have to keep moving. There's no doubt they heard me shooting." Eric said as he turned to us. I could see he had a few splatters of blood on his face and that really helped me realise that we were once again back in the chaos and the noise that tossed my thoughts clean out. I held out my hand for the gun but Eric shook his head. "I'll hold on to it for now."