22

I quickly covered my mouth as it stretched far and wide to accompany the yawn that rippled out. I slapped myself on my cheeks to keep myself awake, but even those were half-hearted. My eyes drooped and the gun I held in my hands almost fell out. I shook my head in a vain attempt to keep quiet, straining my eyes as they peered through the dark streets in order to stay competent in my one job as night guard. I squeezed my eyes hard and took in deep breaths and for a few seconds I felt a real spurt of energy. But it quickly left and I was soon left with disappointing fatigue.

  I had no idea how long I slept for, but I woke up to the sound of screams. I quickly tuned around on the hood of the car, but Mfundo and Amelia were still fast asleep inside. I sighed in relief but felt guilt gnawing at my edges. I couldn't afford to fall asleep again, not if their lives could be placed in danger. I had to force myself to stay awake. I shook my head, pinch my arm (double ouchie), and looked at the watch. Yeah, we had found a watch in the car. It was one of those really old analogue ones with a crack running right through the middle of it. It was really difficult to tell the time, especially in the moon's crappy light, but it had to be somewhere around half past one in the morning.

  Damn, I only had half an hour left till I could wake Mfundo up. Okay, I could do it. I just needed to focus. Get to my feet, keep myself moving, and just pray that no zombies (flesh-eaters) came wandering around.

  I gently leapt off the hood and almost kicked the dead zombie lying close to the car. Wait, I meant deader zombie. I grimaced at the reminder and had to applaud myself for coming up with the plan to just surround ourselves with dead bodies that would most likely mask our scent.

  What? Were you surprised that it was me who came up with that idea? Yeah, well, so was Mfundo and Amelia. It wasn't exactly a Theodore idea. It was more sneaky, and smarter, and a hell of a lot more disgusting than anything I thought I would ever think up. I thought that, if anybody was to make up a plan like that, (Eric) would be the one to do that. I mean, actually lifting and carrying a dead body?

   Let's just say that I hope zombies can't smell vomit.  

  I slowly walked around the car, trying my best not to disturb the six bodies circled around us that I just refused to look at because – don't speak out, don't react. I hummed and tried to distract my mind for the next thirty minutes. Oh, look Theodore, a broken street light. Ooh, or how about that nice Ford my friends were currently sleeping it. Not to mention the breeze that blew at that moment, making me wish, even for a second, that the Ford was on fire. Oh my god, isn't that a lovely flesh-eater? Or, how about that buil –

  My eyes bugged out as my mouth opened and closed in under a second as I tried to scream, but my body realised before I did that screaming probably wasn't the best option. My lip tore open – damn, and I had just got it to stay closed – and my eyes teared up as I fell. Luckily, one of the bodies broke my fall. Unluckily, one of the bodies broke my fall!

  I took in a huge breath and stared at the zombie. It was male, with ragged, torn clothes and missing its jaw. It had multiple holes all over its body that gave me the creeps just looking at it. It reminded me actually of this one time I looked up the images for tripophobia. Look them up and you'll get a good image of what I'm talking about. Actually . . . don't. Just take my word for it. I still feel a shiver down my spine when I think of those images I saw.

  Anyways, the zombie hadn't seemed to notice me, but I wasn't taking a chance. I just laid there, my gun close to my chest, not daring to move, not even daring to breathe and – oh my, the last one was proving to be quite difficult. I tried to distract myself from the lack of oxygen in my body – oh my, what big teeth you have, Mr Zombie-man – but that didn't seem to help me. The zombie was now walking right beside me. It still hadn't noticed me, hadn't even looked down, and if I wasn't currently dying I would be really impressed that the body idea was actually working.