Chapter 13

The bungalow had many mattresses and pillows, so it felt very comfortable and secure. It had a big TV and many couches and chairs so for me it seemed like a children’s sleepover. All that was missing was the food and games. There were small shelves and drawers where I could stow some of my clothes. The rest I left in the suitcase in a corner.

When I finished unpacking, I went back to the main house where Harry and his mom were preparing dinner.

“Can I help?” I didn’t want to seem like a burden, and I knew there was a lot to do since Harrys uncle would be coming that night.

“You can lay the table if you want. We need seats for 9 people. Plates and cutlery are in those drawers over there.” Harrys mom said and pointed to some drawers across the room by the dining table.

The table was almost ready when the doorbell rang. Harrys mom and step dad went to open the door and I could hear screams of joy and laughter. I finished the table and then went to greet the rest of the family.

Harrys uncle was very tall and well built, behind him was a smaller and delicate woman and then there were two little beautiful girls who looked almost identical. Harrys mom smiled when she saw me.

“Everyone, this is Jessi.” She gestured towards me. I smiled and waved, but the next thing I knew I was surrounded by people hugging me and telling me how nice it was to meet me. It scared me how nice everyone was. I wondered how they would act around me if they knew the real me and all the bad things I’ve done.

“Dinners ready!” Harry screamed from the kitchen, and everyone quickly dropped their bags and went to the dining room. It was a nice and calm meal. The food was amazing, but I didn’t want to seem greedy so I only ate a little bit. This was the time Harrys family decided to get to know me.

“So Jessi, where are you from?” Harrys uncle talked the most.

“Im from America.” I tried to have my answers as short as possible.

“Wow, America, sounds exciting.” Meg was now very interested. “so why did you come here to England?”

“I came here for a job.”

“How old are you?” Jeff asked.

“Im 16…”

“Only 16?” Meg seemed a little shocked. “Why would you need a job at 16? Shouldn’t you still be in school?”

“Well, money isn’t something my family has a lot of, so I wanted to help support my dad.” I regretted mentioning my dad the moment it came out of my mouth. I didn’t want to explain my whole family story. But then came the question I didn’t want to answer.

“So what do your parents do?” This question reminds me that my family is an absolute wreck.

“My dad works with a travelling business, so he is barely home.” I didn’t want to continue.

“And your mother?” Meg asked, she didn’t notice I was feeling uncomfortable talking about my family.

“Well,” I took a small break. Harry, who was sitting next to me, placed his hand on my leg and stroked it. It calmed me down. “She isn’t with us anymore…”

Jeff and Meg paused and looked over. I could see they felt bad about the questions they asked, but I nodded to show that it was fine.

“So ya. I came here to become a dancer. It has always been my and my mothers dream.” I broke the silence trying to change the subject.

“Well that’s nice.” Meg said. She then stopped asking questions. The conversation then changed and was mainly about what Harry was up to.

After dinner, we were all very tired so we all went to our rooms to sleep. I stood in front of the mirror brushing my hair. I always had to brush it, otherwise it would be a complete mess the next day. Harry came from behind and gave me a hug. I smiled.

“I’m sorry about tonight.” He tried to comfort me. “I didn’t think they would ask that many questions.” I turned around to face him.

“Its fine.” I smiled “Your family seems lovely.” This made him smile too.

“Not as lovely as you.” He then leaned in and gave me a kiss. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he picked me up and turned me.  When he put me back down we laughed.

“Good night.” He said, giving me a final kiss on the forehead.

“Night.” We went to the mattress and I cuddled in his arms before I went to sleep.