Chapter 21

Matt's POV

I walked into my apartment after work that day. I was so annoyed with myself for letting Anna get to me.

I needed a drink.

I dropped my bag in the parlour and went to the kitchen only to find Martha there. It's been a while since I've seen Martha.

She turned round to look at me. She was clearly surprised to see me.
"Mr O'Connell. You're home? Is there a problem?" She asked

"No. Why?"

"You never come home this early. Except when Ms. Anna was still here"

I clenched my jaw at the mention of the devil's name. I went to the fridge to get a drink. Then I remembered I hadn't thanked Martha for the cake.
"Martha, thank you for the birthday cake. It was unusually delicious. It was different from the other cakes you made"

"Oh...I'd love to take credit for that but it was Ms. Anna who made it. Such a sweet woman. She said she wanted to surprise you with your favourite chocolate cake. She made it all by herself..."

That was it. She always found a way to get to me.
In the office. At home. Everywhere.

"Martha, I never want to hear her name in this house ever again"

She was clearly shocked.

"Is that clear?"

She composed herself "Of course sir" she nodded

I made my way upstairs.

Anna's POV

"Here's your coffee" I placed it on the customer's table "Enjoy" I smiled

"Thank you" she said before I made my way back behind the counter.

I heard the bell ring as someone walked into Kat's.

"What can I get for..." I looked up to find myself face-to-face with Elsa.

"Hello Anna" she smiled "Can we talk?"

My heart raced a little.

What was wrong?

Was Matt hurt?

Was he in danger?

Did he get into an accident?

"I have a few minutes to spare" I said

"Ok" she walked to an empty table at the end of Kat's.

I followed her and sat opposite her. Thank God for my apron. It concealed my three months old baby bump.

"What's up?" I asked

She looked at me suspiciously "I should be asking you that"

I raised my brow.

What exactly does she know?

"I bumped into Kat a few days ago and she told me everything that happened between you and Matt"

I turned my head "She shouldn't have"

"Why not? Because he's my brother?"

"Yes. Because he's your brother...and no one should tell you that your brother is a..."

"...a fool. An asshole. A jerk. He is all that and even more for not believing you." She paused and sighed "But I know my brother, he wouldn't have concluded that without a solid reason"

"What reason is there? I never cheated on him. I was never with him cause of his money. I don't know what else can justify his action"

"I didn't say you cheated on him or was with him because of his money. What I'm saying is someone would have made him believe that you did cheat on him and the later"