male irish names

ABBÁN: Irish name meaning "little abbot."

ABRACHAM: Irish form of Hebrew Abraham, meaning "father of a multitude."

ÁDHAMH: Irish form of Hebrew Adam, meaning "earth" or "red."

AENGUS: Irish Anglicized form of Gaelic Aonghas, meaning "excellent valor."

AHERN: Irish surname transferred to forename use, from an Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó hEachthighearna "descendant of Eachthighearna," hence "lord of horses."

AILBHE: Irish Gaelic unisex name, possibly derived from the word albho, meaning "white." In Irish legend, this is the name of a female warrior of the Fianna.

AILELL: Variant spelling of Irish Gaelic Ailill, meaning "elf."

AILFRID: Irish Gaelic form of English Alfred, meaning "elf counsel."

AILFRIED: Variant spelling of Irish Gaelic Ailfrid, meaning "elf counsel."

AILFRYD: Variant spelling of Irish Gaelic Ailfrid, meaning "elf counsel."

AILILL: Irish Gaelic name meaning "elf." In mythology, this is the name of the husband of queen Méabh.

AILÍN: Irish Gaelic name, probably derived from the word ailín, a diminutive of ail "rock," hence "little rock."

AINDRÉAS: Irish Gaelic form of Greek Andreas, meaning "man; warrior."

AINDRIAS: Variant spelling of Irish Gaelic Aindréas, meaning "man; warrior."

AINDRIÚ: Irish Gaelic form of English Andrew, meaning "man; warrior."

ÁINLE: Old Irish name meaning "champion."

ALAOIS: Irish form of French Provençal Aloys, meaning "famous warrior."

ALASDAIR: Irish Gaelic form of Latin Alexandrus, meaning "defender of mankind."

ALASTAR: Irish Gaelic form of Latin Alexandrus, meaning "defender of mankind."

ALEC: Short form of Irish Gaelic Alesdair, meaning "defender of mankind." Compare with other forms of Alec.

ALESDAIR: Variant spelling of Irish Gaelic Alasdair, meaning "defender of mankind."

ALSANDAIR: Irish Gaelic form of Latin Alexandrus, meaning "defender of mankind."

ALSANDARE: Variant spelling of Irish Gaelic Alsandair, meaning "defender of mankind."

AMHLAIDE: Irish form of Icelandic Amloði, possibly meaning "heavy" or "the dullard," or Old FrenchHamelet, meaning "tiny little village." But this Irish form of the name may have a different meaning, perhaps the same as Amhlaibh.

AMHLAOIBH: Irish Gaelic form of Scandinavian Anlaf (O.N. Ánleifr), meaning "heir of the ancestors."

ANÉISLIS: Irish Gaelic name derived from a byname meaning "careful, thoughtful." Stanislas andStandish are Anglicized forms.

ANRAÍ: Irish Gaelic form of English Henry, meaning "home-ruler."

ANRAOI: Irish Gaelic form of English Henry, meaning "home-ruler."

ANTAIN: Variant spelling of Irish Gaelic Antaine, possibly meaning "invaluable."

ANTAINE: Irish Gaelic form of English Anthony, possibly meaning "invaluable."

ANTRIM: Irish name derived from the name of a county in Northern Ireland, in Gaelic Aontraim, composed of the elements aon "excellent" or "one" and treabh "house," hence "one house" or "house of excellence."