irish male names

DARACH: Variant form of Irish Dara, meaning "oak."

DEAGLÁN: Irish Gaelic name composed of the elements deagh "good" and lán "full," hence "fully good."

DEAS-MHUMHAN: Irish Gaelic byname meaning "man from south Munster."

DEASÚN: Contracted form of Irish Gaelic Deas-Mhumhan, meaning "man from south Munster."

DELANEY: Irish surname transferred to unisex forename use, from an Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Dubhshláine "descendant of Dubhshláine," hence "black challenger."

DEVIN: Irish surname transferred to forename use, derived from the surname Devine, an Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Daimhín, "descendant of Daimhín," hence "little fawn."

DIARMAID: Irish name probably composed of the Gaelic elements "without" and airmait "envy," hence "without envy." In mythology, this is the name of a High King of Ireland.

DOMNALL: Irish Gaelic form of Scottish Gaelic Domhnall, meaning "world ruler."

DÓNAL: Earlier form of Irish Gaelic Domnall, meaning "world ruler."

DONN: Irish Gaelic name meaning "brown." In mythology, this is the name of a king of the underworld.

DONNE: Variant spelling of Irish Gaelic Donn, meaning "brown."

DONNACHAIDH: Variant spelling of Irish Gaelic Donnchadh, meaning "brown warrior."

DONNCHADH: Irish Gaelic name composed of the elements donn "brown" and cath "battle, war," hence "brown warrior."

DONOVAN: Irish surname transferred to forename use, from an Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Donndubháin, "descendant of Donndubhán," hence "little dark brown one."

DORAN: Irish surname transferred to forename use, from an Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Deoradháin, "descendant of Deoradhán," hence "exile, wanderer." Compare with another form of Doran.

*DRISCOLL: Irish surname transferred to forename use, from an Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó h-Eidirsceóil "son of the messenger," from eidirsceól, composed of the elements eidir "between" andscéal "story, news," hence "go-between, intermediary, messenger, news bearer."

DUBHÁN: Irish Gaelic name, originally a byname, composed of dubh "black" and a diminutive suffix, hence "little black one."

DUBHALTACH: Irish Gaelic name, probably composed of the elements dubh "black" and fholtach "-haired," hence "black-haired."

DUBHDARA: Irish Gaelic name composed of the elements dubh "black, dark" and dara "oak," hence "black oak."

DUBHGHALL: Irish Gaelic name composed of the elements dubh "black, dark" and gall "stranger," hence "black stranger." This is said to have been a byname applied to the Danes, in contrast to the fair Norse settlers of Norway and Iceland.

DUBHSHLÁINE: Irish Gaelic name composed of the elements dubh "dark, black" and slán "challenge, defiance," hence "black challenger."

EADBHÁRD: Irish Gaelic form of French Édouard, meaning "guardian of prosperity."

ÉAMON: Irish Gaelic form of English Edmund, meaning "protector of prosperity."

ÉAMONN: Variant spelling of Irish Gaelic Éamon, meaning "protector of prosperity."

ÉANNA: Irish Gaelic name derived from the word éan, meaning "bird-like."