Scottish Male Names

ADAIR: Variant spelling of Scottish Adaire, meaning "the ford of the oaks." 

ADAIRE: Scottish surname derived from the Irish place name Athdare, composed of the elements ath"a ford" and dare (from darach), hence "the ford of the oaks." Click here to read a tradition concerning the origin of the sur name.

AILBEART: Scottish Gaelic form of English Albert, meaning "bright nobility."

AILBERT: Variant spelling of Scottish Gaelic Ailbeart, meaning "bright nobility."

AINDREA: Scottish Gaelic form of Greek Andreas, meaning "man; warrior."

AINSLEY: Scottish habitational surname transferred to unisex forename use, composed of the Old English elements ansetl "hermitage" and leah "meadow, pasture," hence "hermitage meadow."

AINSLIE: Variant spelling of Scottish unisex Ainsley, meaning "hermitage meadow." 

ALAISDAIR: Variant spelling of Scottish Gaelic Alaistair, meaning "defender of mankind."

ALAISTAIR: Variant spelling of Scottish Gaelic Alastair, meaning "defender of mankind."

ALAISTER: Variant spelling of Scottish Gaelic Alastair, meaning "defender of mankind."

ALASTAIR: Scottish Gaelic form of Latin Alexandrus, meaning "defender of mankind."

ALASTEIR: Variant spelling of Scottish Gaelic Alastair, meaning "defender of mankind."

ALEC: Short form of Scottish Gaelic Alestair, meaning "defender of mankind." Compare with other forms of Alec.

ALESTAIR: Variant spelling of Scottish Gaelic Alastair, meaning "defender of mankind."

ALISTAIR: Variant spelling of Scottish Gaelic Alastair, meaning "defender of mankind."

AMHLAIBH: Scottish Gaelic form of Scandinavian Anlaf (O.N. Ánleifr), meaning "heir of the ancestors."

AODH (pronounced ee): Modern Irish and Scottish Gaelic form of Old Gaelic Áed, meaning "fire." In Celtic mythology, this is the name of a sun god. 

AODHAGÁN: Irish double diminutive form of Irish/Scottish Gaelic Aodh, meaning "tiny little fire." 

ARTAIR: Scottish form of Celtic Arthur, possibly meaning "bear-man." 

ATHOL: Scottish surname transferred to unisex forename use, derived from the name of a district of Perthshire, Scotland, composed of the Gaelic elements ath "ford" and al "rock, stone," hence "ford of the rock; rock-ford." 

AUGUSULUS: Scottish form of Roman Latin Augustus, meaning "venerable." In Arthurian legend, this is the name of a king who attended Arthur's coronation.

BALFOUR: Scottish surname transferred to forename use, composed of the Gaelic elements bail "farm, house, village," and p�ir "grass, pasture," hence "farm pasture; grazing land."

BARCLAY: Scottish form of Old English Berkeley, meaning "birch tree meadow." 

BEATHAN: Scottish name derived from Gaelic beatha, meaning "life."

BENNEIT: Scottish Gaelic form of Greek Benediktos, meaning "blessed." 

BHALTAIR: Scottish Gaelic form of Old High German Walthere, meaning "ruler of the army." 

BLÁÁN: Scottish name composed of Gaelic blá "yellow" and a diminutive suffix, hence "little yellow one."

BLAIR: Scottish unisex name derived from any of a number of places in Scotland called Blair, derived from the Gaelic word blàr, meaning "field, plain," most often referring to a "battlefield."