Scottish Male Names 2

LEITH: Scottish surname transferred to forename use, derived from the name of a river of Celtic origin, meaning "flowing water."LENNOX: Scottish surname transferred to forename use, meaning "place of elms." LENOX: Variant spelling of Scottish Lennox, meaning "place of elms." LESLIE: Scottish surname transferred to unisex forename use, from the place name Lesslyn in Aberdeenshire which got its name from Gaelic leas cuilinn, meaning "garden of hollies."LOCHLAINN: Variant spelling of Scottish Gaelic Lochlann, meaning "lake-land."LOCHLANN: Scottish Gaelic name, originally used to refer to someone from Norway, composed of the elements loch "lake" and lann "land," hence "lake-land."LOCKIE: Pet form of Scottish Lùcas, meaning "from Lucania." LOGAN: Scottish surname transferred to unisex forename use, from the place name in Ayrshire, meaning "hollow, lowland." LÙCAS: Scottish Gaelic form of Latin Lucas, meaning "from Lucania." 

LYALL: Scottish surname transferred to unisex forename use, from the Old Norse personal name Liulfr, meaning "shield wolf."

LYLE: Scottish surname transferred to forename use, from the Norman French phrase de l'isle, meaning "from the island."MAGNUS: Scandinavian name derived from the latter part of French Charlemagne ("Charles the Great"), from Latin magnus, meaning "great." Used infrequently by the Irish and Scottish. Compare with another form of Magnus.MAITLAND: English and Scottish surname transferred to forename use, derived from a byname for an ungracious person, from Anglo-Norman French maltalent/mautalent, meaning "bad tempered." MAOILIOS: Scottish Gaelic name meaning "servant of Jesus." MÀRTAINN: Scottish Gaelic form of Latin Martinus, meaning "of/like Mars."MAX: English short form of both Latin Maximilian "the greatest rival" and Scottish Maxwell "the stream of Mack." MAXWELL: Scottish surname transferred to forename use, derived from the place name Maxwell, meaning "the stream of Mack." MELVILLE: Scottish surname of Norman French origin, transferred to English forename use, from the name of various places in Normandy called Malleville, meaning "bad settlement."MÌCHEAL: Scottish Gaelic form of Greek Michaēl, meaning "who is like God?"MICHEIL: Scottish Gaelic form of Greek Michaēl, meaning "who is like God?"MONROE: Scottish surname transferred to forename use, derived from Irish Munro, meaning "from the mount on the river Roe," in Ireland, where the family came from. MORAY: Scottish form of English Murray, meaning "sea warrior."MUICHEACHTACH: Scottish Gaelic name composed of the elements muir "sea" and ceartach "ruler, skilled," hence "skilled seaman." MUIR: Short form of Scottish Gaelic Muireach ("sea warrior"), and other names beginning with Muir-, from muir, meaning "sea." MUIRCHEARTACH: Scottish Gaelic name composed of the elements muir "sea" and ceardach "skilled," hence "skilled seaman."MUIREACH: Modern contracted form of Scottish Gaelic Muiredach, meaning "sea warrior."MUIREADHACH: Scottish Gaelic name composed of the elements muir "sea" and cath "battle," hence "sea warrior."MUIREDACH: Variant spelling of Scottish Gaelic Muireadhach, meaning "sea warrior."MUIRIARTACH: Modern form of Scottish Gaelic Muicheachtach, meaning "skilled seaman."MUNGA: Older form of Scottish Mungo, possibly meaning "dearest friend."MUNGO: Old Scottish pet name derived from Brythonic my-nghu, meaning "dear one." It was recorded in Latin in the 6th century as carissimus amicus, meaning "dearest friend." MURCHADH: Scottish Gaelic name composed of the elements muir "sea" and cath "battle," hence "sea warrior."NEACAL: Scottish Gaelic form of Greek Nikolaos, meaning "victor of the people."NICHOL: Variant spelling of Scottish Nicol, meaning "victor of the people."NICOL: Scottish form of Latin Nicolaus, meaning "victor of the people."ÓENGUS: Scottish form of Gaelic Aonghus, meaning "excellent valor."OLGHAR: Scottish Gaelic form of French Olivier, probably meaning "elf army."OSGAR: Scottish name composed of the Gaelic elements os "deer" and cara "lover," hence "deer-lover." Compare with another form of Osgar.PÀDRAIG: Scottish Gaelic form of Irish Gaelic Pádraig, meaning "patrician; of noble descent."PÀL: Scottish form of Latin Paulus, meaning "small."PÀRLAN: Scottish Gaelic form of Irish Gaelic Parthalán, possibly meaning "son of Talmai."PÒL: Scottish form of Greek Paulos, meaning "small."RAB: Pet form of Scottish Raibeart, meaning "bright fame." Compare with another form of Rab.RABBIE: Pet form of Scottish Raibeart, meaning "bright fame."RAIBEART: Scottish Gaelic form of Norman French Robert, meaning "bright fame."RAIBERT: Variant spelling of Scottish Gaelic Raibeart, meaning "bright fame."RAMSAY: Scottish surname transferred to forename use, from a place name composed of the Old English elements hramsa "wild garlic" and eg "island," hence "wild-garlic island."RAMSEY: Variant spelling of Scottish Ramsay, meaning "wild-garlic island."

RANULF: Scottish form of Old Norse Randulfr, meaning "shield-wolf." Compare with another form of Ranulf.RANULPH: Variant spelling of Scottish Ranulf, meaning "shield-wolf."RONALD: English and Scottish name derived from Old Norse Rögnvaldr, meaning "wise ruler."RONNIE: Pet form of English/Scottish Ronald, meaning "wise ruler." Compare with feminine Ronnie.ROSS: Scottish surname transferred to forename use, derived from the Gaelic word ros, meaning "headland, promontory."RUAIRI: Scottish equivalent of Irish Ruairí, meaning "red king."RUAIRIDH: Scottish equivalent of Irish Gaelic Ruaidhrí, meaning "red king."RUARAIDH: Variant spelling of Scottish Ruairidh, meaning "red king."RUARIDH: Variant spelling of Scottish Ruairidh, meaning "red king."RUISEART: Scottish Gaelic form of Old High German Ricohard, meaning "powerful ruler."SACHAIRI: Scottish form of Greek Zacharias, meaning "whom Jehovah remembered."SAWNEY: Pet form of Scottish Gaelic Alaisdair, meaning "defender of mankind."SEOC: Scottish Gaelic form of French Jacques (English Jack), meaning "God is gracious."SEÒRAS: Scottish form of Greek Georgios, meaning "earth-worker, farmer."SEÒSAIDH: Scottish Gaelic form of Greek Ioseph, meaning "(God) shall add (another son)." SEUMAS: Scottish Gaelic form of Latin Jacomus, meaning "supplanter."SGÀIRE: Scottish Gaelic form of the Old Norse byname Skári, meaning "sea-mew," another name for the common seagull.SHEUMAIS: Older form of Scottish Gaelic Seumas, meaning "supplanter."SHUG: Pet form of Medieval Scottish Huchon, meaning "heart," "mind," or "spirit."SÌM: Scottish Gaelic form of Greek Symeon, meaning "hearkening."SIMIDH: Scottish Gaelic form of Greek Symeon, meaning "hearkening."SINCLAIR: Scottish surname transferred to forename use, from a Norman baronial place name in France called "Saint-Clair."SÌOLTACH: Scottish Gaelic name derived from a byname meaning "sowing," i.e., "fruitful, seed-bearing, producing many offspring."SOMERLED: Scottish Gaelic form of Old Norse Sumarlíðr, meaning "summer traveler."STEAFAN: Scottish Gaelic form of French Stéphane, meaning "crown."STEAPHAN: Scottish Gaelic form of French Stéphane, meaning "crown."STEENIE: Pet form of Scottish Steaphan, meaning "crown."STU: English and Scottish short form of French Stuart, meaning "house guard; steward."STUART: French form of English Stewart, meaning "house guard; steward." In use by the English and Scottish.SUIBHNE: Irish and Scottish Gaelic name meaning "well-going." SUMMERLAD: Variant spelling of Scottish Somerled, meaning "summer traveler."TADG: Variant spelling of Irish/Scottish Gaelic Tadhg, meaning "poet."TADHG: Irish and Scottish Gaelic name meaning "poet."TAM: Short form of Scottish Gaelic Tàmhas, meaning "twin." Compare with another form of Tam.TÀMHAS: Scottish Gaelic form of Greek Thōmas, meaning "twin."TASGALL: Scottish Gaelic form of Old Norse Ásketill, meaning "divine kettle."TEÀRLACH: Scottish Gaelic form of Irish Gaelic Toirdhealbhach, meaning "instigator."THORBURN: Scottish surname transferred to forename use, derived from Old Norse Þorbiorn, meaning "Thor's bear."TOCUIL: Scottish form of Old Norse Þorketill, meaning "Thor's cauldron."TÒMACHAN: Pet form of Scottish Gaelic Tòmas, meaning "twin."TÒMAG: Pet form of Scottish Gaelic Tòmas, meaning "twin."TÒMAS: Scottish Gaelic form of Greek Thōmas, meaning "twin."TORCUIL: Scottish Gaelic form of Old Norse Þorketill, meaning "Thor's cauldron."TORQUIL: Variant spelling of Scottish Torcuil, meaning "Thor's cauldron."UAILEAN: Variant spelling of Scottish Gaelic Vailean, meaning "healthy, strong."UALAN: Variant spelling of Scottish Gaelic Valan, meaning "healthy, strong."UILLEAM: Scottish Gaelic form of German Wilhelm, meaning "will-helmet."ÙISDEAN: Scottish Gaelic form of Old Norse Eysteinn, meaning "island stone."VAILEAN: Scottish Gaelic form of Latin Valentinus, meaning "healthy, strong."VALAN: Scottish Gaelic form of Latin Valentinus, meaning "healthy, strong."WILEY: Variant spelling of Irish/Scottish Wylie, meaning "will-helmet." Compare with another form of Wiley.WILKIE: Pet form of Scottish Gaelic Uilleam, meaning "will-helmet." WILLIE: Pet form of Scottish Gaelic Uilleam, meaning "will-helmet." Compare with another form of Willie.WYLIE: Irish and Scottish equivalent of English Willy, meaning "will-helmet."

[ 1 ] [ 2 ]